Windows 10 Media Creation Tool Error 0x80080005-0x90016?

Meowsterr

Reputable
Oct 11, 2015
I'm trying to upgrade my current edition of windows (8.1), and put that on a usb as the media creation tool allows me to, but I always receive the error "0x80080005-0x90016". Does anyone know a solution to this? Do I have to update to windows 10 first before making a usb with w10? Thanks

Solution
well, same edition of windows refers to home/professional/enterprise and 32/64 bit

Past that, the error is pretty generic in "something went wrong" style and it doesn't explain anything. googling about it wont really give any simple solution to it either.
you can run the media creation tool on older windows versions. at least on 7 and 8.1
You need to run it as administrator though, non admins supposedly run into errors. (right click, run as administrator)
Having the media creation tool downloaded as different language than your own windows version might cause problems also. the admin privileges one is more likely though.

Meowsterr

Reputable
Oct 11, 2015
On their website it says that I should choose the same edition of windows, so I think that I have ot either upgrade my laptop to win10 or just use media creation tool and get win8 (laptop's current version)

well, same edition of windows refers to home/professional/enterprise and 32/64 bit

Past that, the error is pretty generic in "something went wrong" style and it doesn't explain anything. googling about it wont really give any simple solution to it either.

Solution