Various System Issues (crashes, slow, hdd wont recognize, cant overclock)

Jordan_77

Reputable
Dec 31, 2015
Various system issues:

Storage HDD sometimes not recognized until a reboot

Windows 10 super slow at times. Using file explorer or search bar wont yield results for 20 minutes or more. Just sits there and loads until I reboot. On shutdown, sometimes, it will go to shutdown and the screen will black out like normal but the system stays on until I hold the power button down.

Geforce experience is always really slow loading up and laggy once loaded.

Graphics driver crashes occasionally when playing a simple game (heroes of the storm)

Google Chrome sometimes will not respond at all. Ill click on it and nothing happens to I start to use IE and 20 minutes later google chrome pops up.
When using youtube through chrome I experience Video cant be played :( with fuzzy gray and black screen often.

A couple of BSOD have occurred. I think a couple of times when I was running Prime95. IRQL not less or equal (I think)

It wont boot at all if xmp or ocgenie is enabled.

I just built the system and works just fine for most things but these occasional bugs are killing me and I'm curious if its a hardware issue. I am leaning towards motherboard since its various things around the system, though I'm not sure. The longer the duration my computer is on the more of these kind of issues pop up. A restart seems to refresh the "timer" although it is set to various times.
I appreciate any time or effort you can put towards this. Thank you in advance!

Cpu: 5820k
Ram: Pny 2800mhz ddr4
Mobo: MSI x99a sli plus
GPU: EVGA gtx 980 sc
PSU: EVGA 750 p2

All running stock speeds

Solution
According to your product's support page there is a BIOS update available dated on November 2015 version 1.9 and a list of drivers necessary for the optimal operation of your motherboard under Windows 10's platform. Have you updated your BIOS to version 1.9 and installed all the latest drivers?

On the subject of drivers I'd also suggest reinstalling your graphics card drivers with version 361.43 following this tutorial.

Furthermore is this installation of Windows 10 via the free upgrade path or a new installation? If via an upgrade then please state the OS prior to 10. You may also want to create a bootable USB installer, if your installation was via...

Lutfij

Titan
According to your product's support page there is a BIOS update available dated on November 2015 version 1.9 and a list of drivers necessary for the optimal operation of your motherboard under Windows 10's platform. Have you updated your BIOS to version 1.9 and installed all the latest drivers?

On the subject of drivers I'd also suggest reinstalling your graphics card drivers with version 361.43 following this tutorial.

Furthermore is this installation of Windows 10 via the free upgrade path or a new installation? If via an upgrade then please state the OS prior to 10. You may also want to create a bootable USB installer, if your installation was via an upgrade, and perform a repair install.

Solution

Jordan_77

Reputable
Dec 31, 2015

Thank you for your reply! It means a ton.

I have all the drivers updated to newest possible and when available to the windows 10 compatible driver. I will try the GPU driver change and see if that changes anything.
My previous OS was windows 8. I bought a key online and it gave me the upgrade that I installed on day 1.

Just a sidenote, possibly. I managed to overclock my 5820k to 4.455 ghz at 1.29v and I seemed to have gained quite a bit more system stability. Havent had any crashes or anything since. I am thinking the auto voltage settings may have been over compensating but that is just a guess. Now the only problems that remain are my GPU drivers still occasionally crashing and my secondary HD not showing up until a reboot is done. Not as often as before my CPU OC (don't know if that would matter, maybe coincidence) but it still happens.

I am wondering if I raised the voltage on my GPU if it would gain stability since it is showing signs of instability. I'm just confused because it is running a very mild factory OC.

Thank you again for your reply. Look forward to hearing from you soon.

edit: I am running that graphics driver already. :)