Finished my build, downloaded OS and Drivers what's next.

CamT15

Reputable
Jan 1, 2016
Hi I recently finished my PC build and downloaded my OS onto my SSD and downloaded the drivers (which came in disc form) to my motherboard and graphics card. My SSD came with a disc but I don't think it came with any drivers just a Data migration app which I didn't download because I the SSD is completely new and a help management tool which I did install. Once I things set up I'm going to go get the latest drivers off the websites.

BUT my question is what's next after this. Even minor but important things to secure my PC and keep it running fluently. I'm going to take a system image after I install antivirus but what are the other essential things after creating a PC.

Also what is encrypting a Harddirve?

Dec 5, 2014

What I do after installing Windows:

Your on an SSD? then disable the pagefile.sys, hiberfil.sys, and disable superfetch.

Disable unnecessary services

Encrypting a Hard drive is only available on Enterprise and Pro/Ultimate versions of windows. It means encrypting it with a password so people who don't know your password cannot access the contents of the drive/folder.

CamT15

Reputable
Jan 1, 2016

Thanks dude but what exactly is that and how would I do it?

Unless for saving space, there's nothing special you have to do to SSD what you would do on HDD.
To get rid of hyberfill:
Run Command Prompt in Admin mode and write this: powercfg.exe /hibernate off
Don't disable pagefile.sys unless you have 16GB of RAM.
Leave Superfetch on, there's 0 advantage to disabling it.

CamT15

Reputable
Jan 1, 2016

Thanks mike
I have a few more questions for antivirus I understand it's not good to run more than one at the same time so if I disabled Windows defender and brought in a new antivirus such as bit defender free would that be okay. Would I still have Windows firewall?

TRENDING THREADS