WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR and Windows 10 installation error

pjmorley

Reputable
Jan 1, 2016
I've been running Windows 10 almost since its release without issue. A couple days ago, I told my computer to update and shut down. The next time I went to turn it on, it wouldn't boot properly. It said that windows didn't load properly and gave me the error message stated in the thread title above. I was able to boot in safe mode no problem. I have a feeling this is the key to understanding this, but I'm not sure how.
I tried a system restore and a revert to a previous Windows 10 build, but nothing worked. I tried a reset of Windows 10, but my computer couldn't complete the process. It would freeze partway through and restart. I reset my BIOS to default (I hadn't adjusted them, but I did this just in case)
At this point, I've wiped my harddrive and tried to do a clean install of Windows 10, but again, my computer can't complete it. It freezes partway through and restarts.
The newest hardware is my CPU, but it's been in for about a month with no issues at all.
My mobo has a digital LED temp display on it and the CPU doesn't seem to be overheating at all.

I think maybe the update messed up my hardware somehow? I don't know what might have been messed up, though. Any insight on this would be awesome!

MOBO: MSI 890FXA-GD70
CPU: AMD FX-4350
GPU: GTX-660
PSU: Corsair GS800

Solution
Although you've been using Windows 10 since release, did you perform the installation for the OS anew or via the free upgrade path? If the installation is availed via the upgrade path then you'll need to reinstall your old OS and then after the updates are finished proceed to upgrade to Windows 10. The fact is that the activation key for Windows 10 is bound to your hardware and motherboard via UEFI so any hardware changes for folks who migrated using the upgrade option will need to swap out their hardware while on their older OS and then install 10 via the upgrade path. Those who have purchased a licence key for Windows 10 will not have to go through this hassle.

If you can boot into OS's desktop then try and perform a repair...

Lutfij

Titan
Although you've been using Windows 10 since release, did you perform the installation for the OS anew or via the free upgrade path? If the installation is availed via the upgrade path then you'll need to reinstall your old OS and then after the updates are finished proceed to upgrade to Windows 10. The fact is that the activation key for Windows 10 is bound to your hardware and motherboard via UEFI so any hardware changes for folks who migrated using the upgrade option will need to swap out their hardware while on their older OS and then install 10 via the upgrade path. Those who have purchased a licence key for Windows 10 will not have to go through this hassle.

If you can boot into OS's desktop then try and perform a repair install and it'd be a good idea to have a bootable USB installer on stand by while you have your critical data backed up.

As for you hardware;
1| if your BIOS is below that shown in this list then update to the latest available. Also try and remove CMOS battery for minutes before replacing it.
2| have you installed the latest Nvidia graphics card drivers off of Nvidia's site using version 361.43?If so then revert to the last version, 359.43. You can follow this tutorial to reinstall your graphics drivers.
3| try using the chipset drivers off of AMD's site.

Solution