Im having a problem with my second hardrive not being in disk mangement

JT-Jarod

Reputable
Jan 2, 2016
My WD red 1tb hard drive wont appear on disk management but I know it is being found some how because it comes up under hardware.

Solution
Hey there again, JT-Jarod!

I'd advise you to try troubleshooting the HDD itself using WD's Data LifeGuard Diagnostics for Windows. Running the QUICK and EXTENDED tests from the utility will help us determine the health and SMART status of your WD Red. Here's a link to the software: http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=bhMiz3
Disk Management is a pretty essential tool for all your storage devices. Have you tried the HDD in another computer? Check how the other system's Disk Management recognizes the drive before jumping into third-party utilities.

Keep me posted with the SMART results, though. Good luck!
SuperSoph_WD
Welcome to the TH community and Happy New Year, JT-Jarod!

I'd advise you to try plugging your WD Red drive with a different SATA cable and also swap the SATA port itself. It's possible that either one could be faulty and not supplying the HDD with enough power for Disk Management to recognize it. Another thing you could try is the 'Rescan Disks' command in Disk Management as well, hopefully, the hard drive will pop up afterwards.
If you have access to another computer, I'd also try connecting the WD Red there and see if it will get properly detected there.

Keep me posted with the troubleshooting. Hope this helps you.
SuperSoph_WD

JT-Jarod

Reputable
Jan 2, 2016

JT-Jarod

Reputable
Jan 2, 2016
This hasn't worked I appreciate the help thanks. I'm not a tech expert or anything but it seems maybe it's the disk management itself that might not be picking it up. Is there any other programs similar to this that I could try.

Thanks

Hey there again, JT-Jarod!

I'd advise you to try troubleshooting the HDD itself using WD's Data LifeGuard Diagnostics for Windows. Running the QUICK and EXTENDED tests from the utility will help us determine the health and SMART status of your WD Red. Here's a link to the software: http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=bhMiz3
Disk Management is a pretty essential tool for all your storage devices. Have you tried the HDD in another computer? Check how the other system's Disk Management recognizes the drive before jumping into third-party utilities.

Keep me posted with the SMART results, though. Good luck!
SuperSoph_WD

Solution