Old user (all my files, shortcuts, everything) gone after installing new power supply

ColtonHix

Reputable
Dec 25, 2015
I just installed a new power supply to support my new graphics card (new GPU not installed, only psu) and I booted up my pc and it asked for a windows product key. I heard about this but I didn't know my product key as I had the free upgrade from windows 8 to 10

I had the option to skip, so I skipped and apparently it made me create a new user.

The problem is I signed into my Microsoft account etc. but no matter what I can't go back to my old user with all my files. I have my background and user picture and that is it. I can't even find an option to sign in on another user

Any responses would help

Solution
The problem is I signed into my Microsoft account etc. but no matter what I can't go back to my old user with all my files. I have my background and user picture and that is it. I can't even find an option to sign in on another user
The files of said user are always hard locked to the user's account so no matter what you do you can't go through the normal route to retrieve your data.

1| Try and retrieve your old PSU and assemble your system as it was prior to the above issue. Back up all your data as well onto an external storage device.

The activation key is bound to the hardware and for Windows 10 the upgrade path takes into account of the hardware that was attached during install. If you want to perform hardware changes, then...

Lutfij

Titan
The files of said user are always hard locked to the user's account so no matter what you do you can't go through the normal route to retrieve your data.

1| Try and retrieve your old PSU and assemble your system as it was prior to the above issue. Back up all your data as well onto an external storage device.

The activation key is bound to the hardware and for Windows 10 the upgrade path takes into account of the hardware that was attached during install. If you want to perform hardware changes, then the first order of business is to downgrade to Windows 8.

2| Re-install Windows 8 after you introduce all your new hardware including PSU and GPU. It'd be good if you scope out if any BIOS updates are available.
3| Update Windows 8 to the necessary points until you reach the notification for a free upgrade to Windows 10.
4| New installation of Windows 10 achieved.

If you had the licence key for Windows 10 then all the above would've been averted. Please pass on your full systems specs as a before and after.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS