Windows 10 hibernate/fast boot causes sudden shut down

mrwedders

Honorable
May 28, 2013
Hi all!

I've been in the Windows Insider program since it started, getting every new build, and I usually hibernate my PC to keep all my apps open, only rebooting for updates that need it.

This has been fine on Windows 8, 8.1 and 10, up until the November update. I downloaded the initial, "faulty" November ISO with the media creation tool, but didn't get round to installing it until after it'd been pulled and reinstated. So I used NTLite to integrate that update in to the ISO I already had and did a clean install of that.

Everything was great until the next morning when I turned it on again. It booted as normal until it got to the Windows boot screen, which flashed on screen for 1 second or so before the PC just instantly powered down, like someone had pulled the plug out.

I troubleshooted this for ages and eventually worked out it's hibernation and fast boot - the only way to make the PC boot properly again is to go in to the BIOS and change the amount of memory given to the integrated GPU so you're effectively changing the hardware of the machine, which makes Windows dump the hibernate images and boot from scratch.

It's *really* pissing me off now and I've gotten nowhere trying to solve it. Is this some freakishly b0rked install, or an actual issue in Windows 10 1511? Does anyone have any suggestions becuase I don't wanna reinstall again :mad:

Solution
Is this some freakishly b0rked install, or an actual issue in Windows 10 1511?
Alot of users have been complaining about 1511 and how the update has rendered alot of machines straddling.

Since this is an update, but in the guise of a clean install I'd suggest that you go ahead with a repair install if you can boot into your desktop. Other than that I'd suggest recreating another bootable USB installer with that found via Microsoft's Media Creation Tools as the issue was rectified.

Can you please pass on your full systems specs? Judging by your post styling you may have already taken care of the BIOS updates and installed all the latest drivers prior to the mess rearing its head. Mind you there is a known...

Lutfij

Titan
Is this some freakishly b0rked install, or an actual issue in Windows 10 1511?
Alot of users have been complaining about 1511 and how the update has rendered alot of machines straddling.

Since this is an update, but in the guise of a clean install I'd suggest that you go ahead with a repair install if you can boot into your desktop. Other than that I'd suggest recreating another bootable USB installer with that found via Microsoft's Media Creation Tools as the issue was rectified.

Can you please pass on your full systems specs? Judging by your post styling you may have already taken care of the BIOS updates and installed all the latest drivers prior to the mess rearing its head. Mind you there is a known issue with Nvidia GPU's and their drivers with version 361.43 alongside some wireless and wired adapters.

Solution

mrwedders

Honorable
May 28, 2013
*Sigh* another clean install... I only clean installed the November update because I was stuck on one of the Insider builds with loads of weird bugs that persisted through upgrades :(

Specs are...
Core i5 4670 @ 3.4ghz
Gigabyte H87M-HD3
16Gb (2 x 8Gb) DDR3
AMD Radeon 7770 / Intel HD Graphics 4600

And yes, BIOS and drivers are all up to date.