USB Headset sound problems: sound cuts out when microphone activated

HeggyC

Reputable
Dec 28, 2015
Hey everyone, I need some help. I've posted this initially on the Windows 7 forum but I'm re-posting it here as I've just updated to Windows 10 (on the advice of the ASUS helpdesk) but the problem persists. I'm afraid this might be a little long-winded as I don't want to leave out anything that might prove relevant to finding a fix.

My issue

I have a problem with my USB headset. The sound works perfectly when watching a movie / youtube / playing simple games; however as soon as I launch a program that wants to use the microphone, the audio from the headset cuts out and I need to uninstall and reinstall the headset drivers to get the sound working. If I leave open the application that uses the mic, the sound stays off regardless of what I do.

This consistently happens with programs such as Skype, games that use voice comms (e.g. CS:GO) and even the 'configure your mic' app in Windows. Even if I set another device as the default mic, the sound still cuts out when the relevant program is launched. It has only been happening since I got my new motherboard; before on a Gigabyte MB I had no problems whatsoever.

MB: ASUS B150 Pro Gaming D3 ( https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/B150-PRO-GAMING-D3/ )
Headset: Generic USB headset ( http://www.tcstar.com.tw/tcstar/ch/htm/products/micear/tce6860.htm )

Things I have tried to fix the problem

• Reformatted my HD - not my first option, but didn't work.
    Reinstalled the soundcard drivers - I know a USB mic doesn't use the normal soundcard, but it was worth a try. I've tried versions R2.79, 6.0.1.6418 and 6.0.1.6305 (Realtek), all with the same non-result.
    Tested with a non-USB headset - could not replicate the error
    Disabled all other audio devices in Device Manager as suggested in this thread - http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-1976501/audio-usb-headset-windows.html - didn't work.
    Tested the USB headset on another PC - worked fine.
    Tested with a brand new identical headset - no change
    Tried other USB ports on the PC - no change
    Set another mic as default in the Playback Devices tab of the Sound window, no change.
    Upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10 - no change
    Beat my head against a brick wall Temporary decrease in visual resolution and a slight ringing noise, but no discernible change to the computer issue.

Other information that may or may not be relevant

• ■In Device Manager, the headset is identified as "2.4G Wireless Headset"
    ■Once the sound cuts out, the microphone continues to work.
    ■When the computer cuts the sound to the headset, other output devices remain unaffected.
    ■Vending machines kill more people than sharks every year.

That's everything I can think of for now, many thanks in advance for any help I can get!

Solution
I have the same issue, their is a temp fix, Control Panel > Device Manager > Sound > Right Click On Your Headset > Disable > Re-Enable >
Please someone fix this permanently.

Rainbow_4

Commendable
May 19, 2016
I have the same issue, their is a temp fix, Control Panel > Device Manager > Sound > Right Click On Your Headset > Disable > Re-Enable >
Please someone fix this permanently.

Solution

Shawn_78

Prominent
Apr 2, 2017
I don't know if it will be the same for other mics, but I was having the same issue and in the Sound Manager, I discovered that my mic had come on as both a recording device listed as 'Microphone' AND a playback device listed as 'Speakers'. That is to say that the mic was being treated as a playback device when it had no such ability. I found that by disabling the 'Speakers' in Playback, I could prevent the mic from taking over my ACTUAL speakers as the default device, even after being taken out and plugged back in - while allowing the mic itself to still function as it should.

TRENDING THREADS