New PC stuck on FreeDOS

Bolbi_

Reputable
Jan 3, 2016
I just built my first pc and I'm trying to install Windows 10, but I can't. After I was doing whatever I needed to do in the BIOS I put the Windows 10 installation in my DVD drive and when I try to boot it, it goes to this thing called FreeDOS and it only lets me use commands. Did I forget something or do something wrong?

Solution
Nope, that is simply a driver disk.

You need to buy a Windows installation disk and install key (or use Linux for free, but that entails a great deal of learning about Linux).

And when you do buy a Windows installation disk, I recommend that you download the latest drivers from ASUS support rather than using those old ones off the disk.

Currently the cheapest legitimate way to install a Windows OS seems to be from EBay, buying a disk and key for Windows 7 and then if you wish, upgrading for no cost to Windows 10 once you do the 7 install for around $50 or so, something like THIS.

RealBeast

Titan
Are you sure that the disk has Windows 10 on it, i.e. did you download it directly from Microsoft and burn it yourself or buy it from a reputable retailer?

And the SSD or HDD that you are using has not had Free DOS installed on it previously?

Bolbi_

Reputable
Jan 3, 2016
The disk came with my Asus motherboard ( I had no idea it came with it). The disk also says "Windows 10 ready" and "drivers/ASUS utilities for OS upgrade. Is that not an installation disk?

The HDD is new and I know that nothing has been on it.

Sorry I'm not too computer savvy

RealBeast

Titan
Nope, that is simply a driver disk.

You need to buy a Windows installation disk and install key (or use Linux for free, but that entails a great deal of learning about Linux).

And when you do buy a Windows installation disk, I recommend that you download the latest drivers from ASUS support rather than using those old ones off the disk.

Currently the cheapest legitimate way to install a Windows OS seems to be from EBay, buying a disk and key for Windows 7 and then if you wish, upgrading for no cost to Windows 10 once you do the 7 install for around $50 or so, something like THIS.

Solution