Is 32GB of RAM still overkill when it's cheaper?

rwoody

Honorable
Nov 13, 2015
I need opinions here between two choices:

16GB of Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR4 3000Mhz- $209
or
32GB GSkill RipJaws V Series DDR4 3200Mhz- $199

Now I know 32GB is overkill expecially since I will primarily be just gaming. But for $10 cheaper, wouldn't it make sense to go with faster and larger capacity ram just for the overhead? I like the aesthetic look of the LED's on the Corsair ram better, but it's hard to ignore the value in the GSkill ram? Thoughts?

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Get the 16GB of the GSkill and save even more money, their really no such thing as overhead on memory either you can use what you have or you spent wasted money on the extra memory.

rwoody

Honorable
Nov 13, 2015

Thanks for the input, but I didn't include 16GB of GSkill as a choice for a reason. I had planned on buying the Corsair ram for the aesthetics of the LED's and the removable (and paintable) light bar. I had only considered the 32GB of GSkill because it's faster and twice as much RAM for less money. I would consider giving up the aesthetics of the Corsair if the 32GB of GSkill was a good buy, but if I'm going with 16GB of RAM, then the Corsair Dominator is what I'll buy. I do also do a little bit of 3D modeling and multitasking in addition to gaming, but not that much.

SykesIT

Honorable
Nov 11, 2015
It is really up to you, I just built a new PC for gaming and webdesign work etc and purchased 16GB of the same Corsair ram, also bought the lightbar kit and painted that so if ever wanted to sell ram can put original back on.

Then 2 weeks after building pc got the same 16gb of memory for half price on Ebay ( couldn't resist) so just need lightbar upgrades again.

I would go for what you like as the extra 16gb like me you probably would not use,

rwoody

Honorable
Nov 13, 2015

Makes sense. Assuming I go with the Corsair Dominator, I'll buy it directly from their site. The memory costs about 10% more, but they include the light bar upgrade kits for free.