"Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware" (TP-Link USB network adapter)

NoahWL

Reputable
Dec 14, 2015
UPDATE: This problem has been solved (see next post)

I recently purchased the TP-Link TL-WN822N USB wireless adapter. I had some troubles with the speeds of the adapter, but overall it worked. I tried installing the generic drivers for the chipset in it as others suggested to fix these errors, but couldn't fix the issue. Anyways, still trying to fix the speed problems, after rebooting my computer my computer will not correctly recognise the adapter. In Device Manager there is a yellow triangle, and under its properties it says "Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39) Object Name not found." This is what I've tried so far:
- Re-installing the generic drivers from Realtek with their included installer (no change)
- Selecting "update driver software" and choosing the TP-Link drivers (states the best drivers are already installed)
- Going to Driver Details, locating the pre-installed driver in the drivers folder of system32, and removing it (yes, I know, bad idea) and restarting ( same results, and it still says I have the best driver software available if I try to "update" the software" and installing the drivers from Realtek with the installer still has no effect)
- Adding back the system32 drivers file (no change)
My OS is Windows 10 Home 64-bit. I'm completely out of ideas and I really just want this to work at this point. Is there anything I can do to fix this? The network adapter works just fine on my laptop, although with the same speed problem, but that's an entirely different thing to worry about of course.

Solution

NoahWL

Reputable
Dec 14, 2015
I was able to fix the problem. Unfortunately this won't really help anyone else that has this problem, but I'll explain it anyways. I looked at the driver details on my laptop and saw that another file in the drivers folder of system32 was listed along with the one that I saw originally. I copied that driver file over to my desktop, put the files I took out previously back, and it's working perfectly now. Even the speed problem is fixed. It's an old adapter so I doubt anyone else will have this problem, but if you do and you're also running Windows 10 I'd be happy to send the .sys driver file over to you if you're as out of ideas as I am.

145stone

Reputable
Jan 10, 2016

Solution

NoahWL

Reputable
Dec 14, 2015

Sorry, I'm not sure. It seems like you're having troubles installing an AMD graphics card in your system? You should make your own thread and post some more information there, like what graphics card you have, what you're trying to do exactly. Hope you find a solution :)

alwer

Commendable
Apr 15, 2018
TL;DR:
  1. Plug the adapter into another PC and make sure it functions properly there (check in the device manager).
  2. Copy the file C:\Windows\System32\drivers\rtwlanu.sys over to the problem PC into the same location.
  3. Uninstall the device, then install it again (you might need to reboot your PC).
  4. ...
  5. Profit.
I just ran into the same problem, and it was very frustrating to find a solution as google did not spit out anything useful. This post nudged me into the right direction though so I thought I'd share how I solved it if anyone else comes across this. As mentioned in the solution here there should be two files listed in the device manager driver details, however I only had one, and no reinstalling or uninstalling of the device solved this. So i plugged the wifi adapter into another PC where it was working properly, and checked there to find that there were two files. I copied the file that was missing on my main machine over to it from the other PC, uninstalled the device and installed it again, and everything worked properly again. The file in question was C:\Windows\System32\drivers\rtwlanu.sys, once I replaced it that solved the issue.