720p Gaming on a 32 inch TV my second build looking for suggestions.

The Watahu

Reputable
Jan 4, 2016
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/K2qnbv This is my current build I was told to run with an Intel processor if I could to which I found the price point of the one in it at the right level I just want to know if this build will get me reasonable fps on something like Fallout 4 on High/Ultra as well as opinions on graphics cards. I have the Power Supply from my current build not sure where to get more power cables for it though :??: as I moved and lost my extra cables not currently attached... I'm building basically a new computer and just moving my PSU and hard drive over to the new one. Using a dual core AMD currently and its just not cutting it anymore... Any tips, suggestions of changes for the build or anything in general would be appreciated! My budget would be the 400-600 max range but you know anything lower would be awesome, haha.

For 720p gaming you really don't need to go Intel. If you were looking for the very best performance 1080p then Intel would be the best bet, but for 720p gaming you really would have great results going with a FX 6350 (or FX 8 core if you wanted) and getting a good quality GPU. Now the GPU you have chosen is fine for 720p gaming over a 32" TV. I have a gaming rig hooked up for the kids on a LG 720p 32" TV that is a FX 6300 (overclocked) with a R9 290 Tri-X. It renders all the games played on it on all Ultra settings and last time I used Fraps keeps a steady 60FPS (which is all the 720p TV can handle) in all games played on it (Fallout 4 included). That computer is basically used as an entertainment center for streaming TV and movies and playing games (almost like a super powered console). For 720p gaming you can really save yourself some money and go with a FX 6300 or FX 6350. Depending on your motherboard you may just be able to upgrade your processor (if your already on AM3+).

The Watahu

Reputable
Jan 4, 2016
Thank you for the input I was looking at the AMD FX 8350 4.0 ghz 8 core processor but, its at the same price bracket so I may look at the 6350 for a price reduction.

Absolutely. Where the AMD processors get more bogged down is gaming @ 1080p with ultra high end GPUs. I wouldn't go for the R7 370 GPU though. I would opt for the R9 380, or R9 280X or R9 290 all of those cards are DX12 ready and will have more gaming power than the R7 370. Other than that the rig you chose will be great for gaming @ 720p, there really is no reason to go overkill on an Intel system when your TV can't handle the increased performance and FPS gain anyway.

Go for the 6300 with an aftermarket cooler , the 6350 is not worth the extra cash

Changed to an matx board & case , swapped the 370 for a 950 - its a better card & will hammer games at 720p.
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor ($89.99 @ Micro Center)
CPU Cooler: RAIJINTEK THEMIS 65.7 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($27.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-78LMT-S2 Micro ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($49.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport XT 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($27.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 950 2GB Video Card ($139.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: Cooler Master N200 MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $365.94
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-01-04 14:22 EST-0500

The Watahu

Reputable
Jan 4, 2016
Wow at that price point I could add a SSD as well I will probably go with that build as you're sure I could play most current games on high / ultra at 720p right?

The only thing that would concern me is the GTX 950 is only 2GB. There are a lot of newer games coming out requiring over 2GB, sometimes 4GB. I know your needs will be a little less with gaming at 720p, however you also want to game on Ultra settings and I think it would be better to get a card with at least 3GB, 4GB if possible to give yourself a little more future proofing. I would stay with the R9 280X as the starting point for a GPU. The R9 280X will out perform the GTX 950 and the other two GPUs I mentioned are even more powerful than the R9 280X. I do agree that the FX 6300 would also be a great choice and if you need a little more it can always be overclocked and going with the FX 6300 will save you money.

lodders

Admirable
Your original suggestion to get an Intel i5 was a very good one. All the AMD CPUs discussed above are far less powerful.
Even if you don't need the extra performance now, you will need it in future when a new game comes out. An i5 should be good for at least 5 years of use.
If in a few years time you get a better monitor or TV, it is easy to upgrade your GPU to a much more powerful one, and an i5 will keep up easily.

An i5 is never going to be "needed" for gaming at 720p:pfff: Even gaming at 1080p the AMD FX 6300 holds its own because games are not only becoming more multithreaded all the time, but they are also becoming more and more GPU, not CPU dependent. When games in the very new future utilize DX12 that trend of games being more multithreaded and GPU dependent is only going to become more prevalent.

That system will definitely keep you gaming for a long time to come. I like the GPU you chose, you won't have any problems getting ultra settings, 60FPS for 720p gaming:D The only thing that I might change is the CPU cooler, for 2 more dollars you could get the Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO. I've never had a RAIJINTEK THEMIS 65.7 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler before, but I know the 212 EVO, it has a well deserved excellent reputation and I've always had great luck with them. The 212 EVO is considered to be the very best budget minded after market cooler, there are tons of people who will back me up there.

The Watahu

Reputable
Jan 4, 2016
Swapped out the CPU cooler for the one suggested. Hope nothing is DOA as I don't have a way of knowing anything is wrong... Lol but I'm happy with the price and complete build.

I won't lie to you and say that defective parts don't occur, but I can truthfully say that they are very rare with quality control these days. If you do have any trouble once you get everything you know where to go for help. Enjoy your new rig, I'm sure you will be very happy with your new gaming rig, a great way to ring in the new year:D