What do you guys think a major in Architect sounds like?

LOLMAN02

Reputable
Aug 10, 2015
I found my jam, been playing around with apps like "sketch up" since I was 14-15, but stopped,
however I think after 5 years of not knowing what to do, I finally remembered how I loved to design house models, skate parks using application like "sketch up". im beggining to enjoy it once more that I have downloaded it again
But was wondering, is it in high needs today? and do you need a good maths level ?
(Im really bad at maths)
Also im thinking about going to an architect uni, since im planning on dropping out of bussiness univeristy

Im thinking about making a 'cheap/amateur' portfolio of some of the work that I can do via 'sketchup' is this a good idea? (like building a airport, house etc..)
however I heard that you need good grades in maths :/ and physics, problem is ive got a 'D' in my IGCSE report and never touched the subject "physics" so its looking grim,
But Im dying to do this major, as nothing else pleases me :/, and I dont want to quit studies for a job either...

some knowledge, Info, guidance, reccomendations would be nice
EDIT: I want to add, any suggesstion for application like "skecth up" for desinging stuff , I want it to be FREE

Solution
keep in mind i have not done this in a long time. but in high school and in my early college years i did this myself. my high school drafting classes had CAD so i got some basic knowledge there and i bought CAD through local university for pretty cheap (it is a very expensive program), got a book and learned how to use it on my own. this was in the early 1990's so it has been a while!!

through my drafting teacher in high school i made some contacts with some local companies and got my start converting paper drawings into CAD ones. i made pretty good money for a high school and college student so i did it for a number of years. it was all independent contractor work. i would pick up the drawings from the companies and return them when i...

bliq

Distinguished
I would imagine Architects need good math and physics backgrounds, but it's probably not something you couldn't learn in a university. Last time I saw future prospects for Architects in the US, it wasn't looking good, so you'd need to be an architectural rock star here, but I don't know what it's like where you live. Maybe prospects would be better in a developing country, I don't know. Unless there are architects here, I think you need to do some real research.

LOLMAN02

Reputable
Aug 10, 2015

well im just a student living in Europe,
hmm I think I should get starting to making some desgins and creating a good looking portfolio to make up for my bad maths grades

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
i was an architect major in the mid 90's and found it to not be what i thought it was at all. i loved the math and physics part of it. lots of calculus and both static and dynamic physics classes were all kinds of fun to me.

the part i could not handle was the "studio" classes i took. you may have seen these before. it is basically the class where you work up your brilliant ideas from plans to models. no biggie really but we were expected to have these great ideas almost weekly!! i found i just did not have this never ending string of ideas to draw and model as quickly as possible. so despite excelling at the other classes, i ended up pretty much failing the studio ones since i could not keep up with the demand for ideas. other students were the other way around, they had a never ending flow of ideas but could not do the math and science to go with it.

in the end i dropped out and ended up as a math and physics major :)

but what i learned the most was that for the most part an architect is simply a stamp of approval (their certification stamp is all they are good for). engineers for the most part do the designing and the in house architect stamps it to be official. i am not saying no architect actually designs anything but in the corporate mass produced world most is done by engineers. think about all the discovery channel and history channel shows about great achievements. they are all focused on the engineers and what they went through to get it built. nowhere is an architect referenced or even acknowledged as having been there.

true it has been a long time wince i have been looking at that world but a couple architects i know tell me it is pretty much the same as i remember it being back then :(

LOLMAN02

Reputable
Aug 10, 2015

wait so im confused now, which one of the two, are you able to plan out, create buildings, Envirnonemnts on the computer?
Because thats what I specificially want to do

Actually to awser my self, I think the precise thing that I want to do is called "architecture designer" but im not 100% sure

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
ok seems i misunderstood what you meant by "architect". i believe the professional program for what your talking about is CAD. are you simply wanting to turn other people's drawings into computer versions? or are you wanting to actually design things yourself and have people build them?

simply converting a paper drawing into a CAD (computer aided design) one only takes knowing how to use the program and finding work from companies usually as an independent contractor. here a portfolio would be helpful and takes no special degree or anything. though you may find classes on how to use the program at local uni's.

if you want your own designs to be used, then this is the same thing as being an engineer or architect. you have to have the knowledge and training (meaning degree) to properly design and sell your ideas. the computer program is simply replacing the old paper drawings i learned to do way back when. there is still a lot of specialty knowledge needed to do a complete design on your own.

LOLMAN02

Reputable
Aug 10, 2015

CAD was what I was looking for, Yes I want to turn peoples models and sketches in the program, You say I have to be an individual contractor in order to do that as a job hmm :/

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
keep in mind i have not done this in a long time. but in high school and in my early college years i did this myself. my high school drafting classes had CAD so i got some basic knowledge there and i bought CAD through local university for pretty cheap (it is a very expensive program), got a book and learned how to use it on my own. this was in the early 1990's so it has been a while!!

through my drafting teacher in high school i made some contacts with some local companies and got my start converting paper drawings into CAD ones. i made pretty good money for a high school and college student so i did it for a number of years. it was all independent contractor work. i would pick up the drawings from the companies and return them when i was done along with the CAD files for payment. the only thing i needed back then was knowledge of the program and companies willing to hire me to do the work.

i do not know how it works anymore as i don't think many companies even draw on paper much anymore but rather do it all in CAD from the start. some research on your part into the local needs and some quick training on CAD would be where i'd start. local uni might offer classes on CAD which may also allow you to get the program cheaper as part of the enrollment. make some contacts in the local companies and i am sure they can point you in the right direction.

i don't remember the program being very hard to learn but it is very in depth and has about 10,000,000 add-ons to add just about anything you can think of to the finished product. everything from landscaping to all manners of finishes for both interior and exterior and in between.

Solution