GTX 590 overheats even while browsing, shuts down computer

Obzzarver

Reputable
Jan 4, 2016
Hello, I was just wondering if anyone would have any experience with the cause of this, or possibly a solution which isn't buying a new card :p (although at this point I'm reluctantly prepared for that).

So for some time now, my computer just starts fanning up under any load, and then the screen goes black.
It used to be only when playing games that required heavy performance, but it's gradually reached the point where scrolling down the facebook feed fast will cause it.

I was unsure which component was at fault at first, since I had a similar issue (albeit not as severe as shutting down whilst browsing) a year and a half or so ago, which turned out to be my CPU fan, which I've later replaced with liquid cooling, solving the issue.

Someone suggested it could be the PSU basically being spent, given that the computer is 4 years old, but I don't know the logic behind that.

I've ran open hardware monitor just now watching CPU and GPU load, temp and fan speed, and basically just scrolling down facebook quite fast to force the issue.
The GPU('s) eventually reached 105 degrees Celsius, at which point the computer shut down, or at least the image did. (I have to reset a few times to make it boot back up). GPU fan was running at 95% at that point, which seems to be it's limit.

CPU temp was around 70-75 degrees, which is way less then it used to be when I had the CPU fan issue before. Used to be 98 degrees or so at that time. But obviously I cant test if it goes that high during games now, as I cant even launch a game without the computer shutting down.

Lastly, whenever the computer shuts down like that, or even if its been off a while, especially if I have dual monitors connected, I cant get it to display anything. Wont activate monitors. I can hear windows starting though, but I gotta turn it back on and off, resetting 30 times sometimes, before it will properly activate monitors and display an image.

One fear I've had is based on something a friend experienced, where after they installed liquid cooling on their CPU, it was leaking slightly onto the GFX card below, destroying, it. However I haven't seen signs of that.

Sorry for the super long writeup, any insights appreciated. :)

70-75C for facebook! Holy smokes (pun intended)... 105C for the GPU with just Facebook! Holy smokes (again, pun intended). Something is badly wrong. So I have lots of questions.

1) What is your room temperature?
2) When you installed that liquid cooler for the CPU, did you put on fresh quality thermal paste? Because that's super high for facebook. And what cooler is it?
3 In your GPU monitoring program, when it was at 105C, could you verify if the fans were physically spinning, and at what speed? And what GPU is it?
4) What is your power supply? Not really related, but clean power delivery is important for health of components and technically can decrease temperatures very slightly.
5) How many fans in the case?
6) Is everything dusty?

Obzzarver

Reputable
Jan 4, 2016
Hey Turkey3_scratch :)
1) room is quite cold, 20-22 degrees Celsius I would estimate.
2) The cooler had this kinda stick-on pre-installed gluey surface on it, where I just had to rip of some cover plastic of sorts and stick it in place on the CPU. Its a Corsair H60 Hydro Series ( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835181030 ).
3) Yes, they were definitely spinning, sounds like a vacuum machine. (and I've felt it with my hand to be sure as well). Went at just over 3000 RPM. The card is and nvidia GTX590
4) PSU is a decent 750w kind, whos name I can't recall or read without unscrewing it :D

I would reapply thermal paste on both the CPU and GPU coolers. Use isopropyl alcohol to remove it, take them out of the case. Wipe it from both the CPU and cooler, as well as the GPU and GPU cooler. The 590 definitely is a hot booger, but for idle 105C is absolutely outrageous and I don't even know what to do, even if the thermal paste was bad that's ridiculous. Might be time for a new GPU for you, but I'd replace thermal paste on both before anything. Since 590 has two GPUs, thermal paste must be reapplied to each one.

Also, get some compressed air and blow any dust out of there.

Obzzarver

Reputable
Jan 4, 2016
Thanks, I might try that. Any recommended paste?
I never really opened up a gfx card before to do anything, but can't really get worse so I'll give it a shot.
If it is of any importance: While I'm doing absolutely nothing except writing this in a single tab of google chrome, the GPU temps are 70c and CPU 45. When I start doing basically anything, the fans go nuts, and heat rises. GPU faster then CPU, but theres very little load on both.
Also, the GTX590 I have only has one fan, if thats of any relevance. Then again, the whole system if 4 years old and have served me well, could be its just dying of old age.

Well, if the CPU is 70-75 under load, that's reasonable, but scrolling a webpage is usually only straining one core. If you did a stress test, that CPU would hit 100C surely. Plus the Corsair H60 really is not that good of a cooler to be honest. It's just truth of the matter that $60 air coolers can crush it.

Anyway, Arctic MX-4 paste I recommend. Non-conductive, great cooling, one of the best.

Obzzarver

Reputable
Jan 4, 2016
Allright thanks again man. I expect I may have to change at least the gfx card, although now you got me worried about the CPU as well :D haha, but, I'll give that paste a go first.
Also, did not see your questions 5-6 up there before I originally replied.
5 - I have terrible airflow in that case, cause its kinda chaos in there, and front fans blocked by a door etc etc, so I have essentially just left the sidepanel off for the longest time.
6 - ..which probably have caused some dust :D it's not terribly though, I have been through it with compressed air at least once in those 4 years :D But compared to other computers I've had while I used to chainsmoke while gaming in a small room, this one looks shiny and new!

You should really invest into a new case then. A good quality case plays a major impact on cooling, more than people realize. Not sure what yopu mean by a "door", but after you do what I said, if temps are still bad, get a nice big case with good cable management.