Booting windows 10 onto an ssd from a usb on a new pc

conrtv

Reputable
Dec 17, 2015
I am waiting on my last parts to come in to build my PC, I am going to have an SSD and an HDD, I want to boot my OS from my usb onto my SSD and then have my HDD for storage. Can someone give me the basic steps to this, I understand how to make a Win-10 boot usb, but I am a bit fuzzy from there on..

Rob PCC

Reputable
Jan 3, 2016
If you have the USB with the Windows 10 install it should be fairly simple.

1) Once your build is completed insert the USB in one of the motherboard ports and turn the computer on while pressing F2 continuously.
2) When you get in the bios go to advanced settings/boot menu (depending on your motherboard) and select boot from USB.
3) The windows installation process should start automatically and a screen should prompt you on where you would like to install windows. Just select the SSD.
4) Once the Windows install is complete search "disk management" or "computer management" and select disk 1 or 2 or whatever your storage drive is listed under. Right click on the blank disc space and select format or create simple volume. NTFS file format is fine. It will format the disk and you should get a file explorer window to pop up with your new drive. FYI, I would personally choose a drive letter like K or something lower in alphabet so it's not close to C which is your primary drive which houses windows.

psoohoo

Honorable
Jul 30, 2014
You can make a Windows 10 USB by using the Media Creation Tool. Connect the SSD as the first drive (SATA-0) and the HHD as the second (SATA-1), provided both are SATA drives. Boot to the USB and follow the instructions. If you want to be be sure that you dont mess that up, install it with only the SSD install and connect the HDD afterwards, once Windows is in stalled.