Setting up dual monitor help.

Notoriiious

Reputable
Mar 7, 2015
So I'm thinking about finally switching over to dual monitors, and i'm currently using a tv as my display. I've never had or set up dual monitors before, so I just need some clarification on some things and some advice.

I don't have a super high budget, but all the monitors I'm eyeing at all have only a DVI and a VGA port on them. I currently have my PC and my Xbox One set up to my tv both with HDMI cables. My GPU has 2 DVI ports and 2 HDMI ports. My Xbox obviously only has 1 HDMI port.

I just really don't know how I would set that up so I have my PC connected to both monitors AND my Xbox on one of them with access to only 1 VGA and 1 DVI port on each monitor.

I was thinking maybe for my Xbox being connected with an HDMI to DVI cable. Then my computer connected with DVI cable to one monitor and DVI to VGA (is that a thing?) with the other? Would the difference in quality be weird with that sort of set up?
If anyone could just give me any advice that would be awesome, thanks.

Solution
Connecting HDMI-DVI will give you know sound as DVI doesn't transmit sound. You'll need a monitor/tv with an HDMI and DVI connection. I would avoid VGA if at all possible (its ancient and yucky).

I run 3 monitors on my main computer and the middle one also has my XB1 hooked up to it.

SBennett13

Reputable
Jul 18, 2015
Connecting HDMI-DVI will give you know sound as DVI doesn't transmit sound. You'll need a monitor/tv with an HDMI and DVI connection. I would avoid VGA if at all possible (its ancient and yucky).

I run 3 monitors on my main computer and the middle one also has my XB1 hooked up to it.

Solution

Nekrosys

Reputable
Dec 22, 2015
Best solution would be DVI to DVI and then do HDMI to VGA through an adapter. Or what you could do is look for two monitors in your price range that have DVI and HDMI capabilities.

Notoriiious

Reputable
Mar 7, 2015

I will try to stay away from VGA, but if I end up getting stuck with a set up like how I mentioned what would be the best way to do it?