Why is it the last 3 used cars I had all had radiator problems?

Lori_7

Reputable
Jan 5, 2016
The last 3 cars I have owned all had radiator problems. The most recent I have had the car only a month and they are now changing out the radiator. What could be causing this?

steve1985

Reputable
Dec 27, 2015
improper maintenance most likely.
you can have radiator problems, cooling problems from NOT changing your coolant every 7 years. coolant only lasts for so long and then turns acidic . ruining gaskets seals causing thermostat failures etc.

Most likely bad luck. A lot of cars are neglected and radiators can be subject to issue with small channels inside, corrosion and gunk builds up easily, they're in the front of the car so damage from road debris can cause leaks easy enough.

Maintenance is a lot of it, a lot of people are horrible about keeping up with car maintenance. Even the ones who do you often hear about all the oil changes. There's more to maintaining a car and multiple systems including cooling, brakes, transmission etc. How many of the people who make it a good habit to get their oil changed actually have those other components serviced for upkeep? It's one of those ignored parts of the car that 'seems fine' until there's a problem.

Ralston18

Titan
Agree with the previous postings.

However, will ask if you trust the place doing the work? Not at all uncommon to be taken advantage of when it comes to car repairs or any repairs in general. Did you get another opinion anywhere: family member, friend, another shop?

Dugimodo

Distinguished
Do you maybe fill them with tap water? Always use the correct coolant as recommended by the manufacturer and never mix different types of coolant (some react with each other and can turn into a gel). I've not had a radiator issue in over 20 years, not since my days of buying cars with 200,000 miles on the clock and running straight water in the radiator.