Windows 10 Computer won't wake from sleep (blank output to monitor, system still revs)

Here's my situation:
I've had this problem since Windows 10 came out, and it has not seemingly been resolved by updates yet.
My computer can go to sleep just fine, but when I go to wake it up, it revs up and beeps (as per usual waking procedure) and has obviously resumed; however, it fails to output to my monitor.
The only fix I've found is to hold the power button and then restart the computer.

I'm running Windows 10 Pro 64X, Version 1511 (OS Build: 10586.17).

I tried contacting MS support.... and they want me to pay to fix this, which obviously I'm not going to do when my computer worked flawlessly with 7.

I'd like to keep on 10. I'm a salesperson and it's helpful to be in the know, but I'm not going to tolerate my system not working as I expect it to. Sadly, this is the sort of issue I have to reach out for help to fix, as I don't know where to start.

My configuration of hardware is as such:
Asus P8Z77-M Motherboard
8GB DDR3 x2 9-9-9-24 1600mhz Corsair Vengeance RAM
2 SSDs (Sandisk Ultra II 480GB, Corsair Force GT 240GB)
EVGA build, NVIDIA 660TI 2GB DDR5
Asus N15-PCIE W/L Card
And that... if memory serves is all that's really relevant.

I have thus far tried:
- Restore (No luck)
- Clean Install (No luck)
- Update BIOS and Chipset to post-Windows10 release
- All drivers updated
- x16 PCIE enabled as primary graphics in bios (rather than auto)
- Disconnect of USB devices (non-essential)

Nothing has stuck. MS support seemingly is full of imbeciles or just trying to pass the buck, so I'm straying from the official support and asking at a place I haven't been let down before. Thank you very much for any assistance you can offer. IF you have to repeat these steps to confirm a hunch, by all means. Just listing what I've done.

Hi,

Here are some troubleshooting steps that may help in solving that issue.

- Open Power Option and click on Change plan settings then Change advanced power settings.
- Expand Hard disk then Turn off hard disk after and set it to Never.
- Expand Allow hybrid sleep and set it to Never, set Hibernate after to Never as well.
- On Power Option main menu, on the left pane click on Change what the power buttons do.
- Once open under Shutdown settings remove the check on Turn on fast startup then click Save changes.
- Also do disable the screen saver mode of your PC when it idles.
- Next is to do a clean install of your graphics card driver as well.
- Please do follow the guide in this article on how to do a clean install of your GPU driver.
- http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-2767677/clean-graphics-driver-install-windows.html

Hopefully this will do the trick. :)

Thank you for your efforts, but unfortunately this doesn't seem to have resolved the issue.
I configured all the settings I could find (some of those listed were not where they were supposed to have been, so I don't know) with no luck.

Additionally, I have tried this from a new user account to see if that had any bearings, to no avail.

Thank you for your help. If you have any other troubleshooting ideas, please let me know, but if not, I think I'll just go back to 7 until they smooth Win10 out a bit.

Edit: If I'm going to be reloading an OS, I might as well try a clean of W10 again. Will post back if results improve.

supindahood

Reputable
May 3, 2015
I recently got this problem too. I think it occurred when I changed the projecting options back and forth from Extend to Duplicate (WIN-P), either that or when I used FreeMonitorManager software to change brightness.

I reset my both monitors to factory defaults, but still getting this issue. Must probably be Windows 10 or my brand new monitors got corrupt from the monitor software.

The problem explained: When my monitors goes to sleep (not my computer, its still awake) I try to wake it up by pressing any key, and nothing happens. If i touch the monitor buttons it says no signal is coming from PC. After a longer while than usual, they wake up. If they have been off for too long they never wake up and I have to restart PC manually. My entire PC, monitors and everything is brand new. This didn't happen before, it used to be lightning fast.

jrozycki

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2011
I have the same issue. From what I understand, it's an issue with Nvidia GPUs. If you have a single GPU then MB typically have it set up to keep the card closest to the cpu. Newer boards will still allow 3.0 x16 on two ports but some have x16 on one port and x8 on the other.

Klaasm

Commendable
Sep 9, 2016
Hi

It's a problem occuring when your pc is equipped with a Nvidia GPU. There's a bug in the internal gpu driver.
I started having this problem after updating the drivers of both my internal and dedicated graphics card. I managed to fix it by installing the previous drivers on both of my GPU's. But I think it should be fixed by only doing this with the internal GPU not the Nvidia card.

Hope this works for you!

Theo_10

Commendable
Nov 12, 2016
Hi

How are we supposed to do all these steps with a black screen?? Don't have a spare monitor laying around and if it's the GPU not outputting the signal, a different monitor still won't show anything.

This particular thread is predicated on having a working state for the GPU to test these other properties. Mine worked in Lane 1, not in Lane 2. I had it in Lane 2, but could still move it to Lane 1 to test. I don't believe, judging by what you're asking here, that this particular thread is of much use to you.

Turns out it's a known issue with NVIDIA. If your mobo has any sort of indication of a "GFX lane", try using it in that. Otherwise, try using it in the lowest numbered lane. Otherwise you may have an entirely different problem.

If you need to troubleshoot whether a GPU works at all or is dead, you would be better served using a different thread / posting your own.

ckelih

Honorable
Jan 25, 2018
Wow, that a very interesting course of problem finding. I had never thought that NVIDIA might be the problem but it makes sense.
I bought a completely new rig and it run just fine for 2 weeks until I ran into that very problem myself. It is so annoying and I cant find a way to get rid of it.
My GPU is in the top PCIx Lane where it supposed to be imho. Maybe I'll upgrade the nvidia driver to an non WHQL release and see if it makes any difference.
Hmm maybe someone who solved this issue also want to post any info regarding driver and such.....

Depends on how long you can wait.

The PC is no longer my main system and I have too much schoolwork at the moment.

However, I will try to remember when I get out on the 25th of April and see if I can get you that information.

In the meantime, you may wish to start an independent thread, as this one is rather old and I would be sceptical as to whether a driver might still be the issue. You're also liable to get help sooner.