Installed new WIFI Adapter - now files are corrupted and indexing is turned off

Ryan Fallon

Reputable
Aug 28, 2014
Hi Everyone. As the subject states I just installed a new WIFI card. It's a WiFi/Bluetooth in one card and the WIFI goes into the PCI-E and the Bluetooth has a USB cable to connect to the mobo. During installation I did not have any USB ports on the MOBO to use so I disconnected one that was connected (I had believed it was routed to one of the external, convenience, USB ports). When I booted up and installed the drivers for the new adapter, uninstalled the old drivers the internet worked great. But, then I saw that certain file locations were not available and then saw that indexing had been turned off and there were no indexed files. I'm not sure how my HD got affected if that's what's causing this. The error message states the file location and then "The file or directory is corrupted or unreadable".

Any help is much appreciated!

Ryan Fallon

Reputable
Aug 28, 2014
I have done a lot of searching trying to figure out how to right the ship. Every rat hole I've known in the past to reset the mistake is not working. I don't have Windows restore or Windows 10 Reset. I downloaded the Windows 10 install media to a USB and tried to boot up off of that. I try to do Windows Restore in that and it says no restore points. I try to do Windows Reset and it says an error has occurred. I'm trying to do a whole new install of Windows 10 and not sure if it will work.

Other than DBAN and reinstalling Windows and drivers is there any way to fix this?

W Fallon

Reputable
Dec 4, 2015
Where did you get the driver? I'm betting you used a "driver update" service.

Most are scams and only install malware. I think you have a virus

Get Malware Bytes and SuperAntiSpyware, and run them.

The only other option is to do a clean reinstall.

Bill