CyberPower PC - Problems Will Cost You

PsiNorm

Distinguished
May 25, 2011
So I purchased a gaming PC from CyberPower last year (October). They had some great promotions and I thought that I would forgo the hassle of putting my rig together myself this time. It has been a great computer, and until recently, I had no complaints.

Fast forward to New Years Eve, and the computer quit working. I performed some tests, and concluded that it was probably the motherboard (not a big deal, my last build had a faulty motherboard, a quick replace, and we're golden). I called CyberPower and the guy on the phone was helpful, came up with the same conclusion I did, and gave me an RMA number to ship the tower back for repair.

When I took the package to ship back, UPS wanted $100, and the USPS wanted more than that. I decided to call CyberPower to see what they could do since they probably have an account since they ship often. CyberPower would not do anything. The guy on the phone said that I would have to pay whatever the shipper said it wold cost. When I asked the guy if it made sense that my $800 computer became a $900 computer just 2 months later due to a fault in their product, he said "If that's what it costs to ship it back, then yeah." Seems like some poor customer service.

My advice? Stay away. A good deal and saved labour becomes a poor deal and a huge hassle if one of the components goes bad (and we all know that it's not uncommon - especially motherboards in my experience).

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Sorry to hear that, but it's not unreasonable to expect.

Shipping is generally a combination of size & weight. A desktop is a decent combination of both.

I believe CyberPower (and other companies) offer some form of two-way shipping coverage as an option, which you likely declined if it's not covered. It's the risk you take unfortunately.

Some larger retailers provide collection & returns, some don't. Most smaller guys (CyberPower included) offer some kind of option for it.

As I said, I'm sorry to hear you're having problems with the rig, but I don't think CyberPower are being unreasonable necessarily.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator

Not defending them necessarily, as I know their reputation.....but it is clear as day in their FAQs:

"Cyberpower, Inc. does not pay for the return shipping cost for any defective merchandise. We are not responsible for product defects. If you pay to send the defective item back to Cyberpower, Inc, we will replace the item and ship the item back to you at no charge."

Really pays to do your homework before buying, as unfortunate as this is for the OP

Blackink

Distinguished
I'd tear the computer apart and send them just the defective motherboard.

I realize you probably don't want to do this, but it would be a heck of a lot cheaper, and probably safer to send a light weight motherboard back than to ship the whole tower back.

You don't think any shipping company is going to treat it with quality care and respect....do you?!?

naturesninja

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2013
Replace that PSU while you're in there too probably. I'm surprised about $100 shipping. I have shipped things across the country bigger than a full tower for far around $40-50. Usually, it's only dimensions that become an issue, weight isn't usually taken into consideration until it gets over 85lbs I believe.