Desktop freezing up after being idle for a short time

gddrummerboy

Reputable
Mar 22, 2015
Hello,

My self built desktop has been having a weird issue where it freezes up whenever I spend too long idle on the desktop or on a pause screen in any game. It only started happening a few days ago but it is driving me crazy. It freezes up anywhere between 10 minutes and 15 seconds after i stop doing stuff. When it freezes up it's completely unresponsive (Num lock won't even turn off). I am completely confused to whether it's a software or hardware issue. Temps are only around 30C. I upgraded to windows 10 a few months ago but only started having issues around January 2nd.

My Specs:

AMD FX 6350
Kingston 120gb ssd
Seagate Barracuda 1 TB HDD
ASUS M5A97 R2.0 AM3+ AMD 970 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard
Gigabyte R9 280X GDDR5-3GB
Corsair Builder Series CX 600 Watt
Kingston HyperX FURY 8GB Kit (2x4GB) 1333MHz DDR3 CL9 DIMM

What I've tried:
memtest86
Malwarebytes
Updating graphics drivers
played with the power settings

Any help/suggestions would be great, I've looked at the other threads and they seem to be similar issues but not the same.

Solution

I have the same problem with my Asus AMD A10 with windows 10 pre-installed. Sometimes clicking on the toolbar at the bottom will refresh the screen. Other times no response and ctrl alt delete doesn't work in win10. Then I tried pressing the windows key and that worked. It refreshed my desktop and everything worked again. I still have to isolate what's causing this but it got me out of the lock up.
Hi,

Please do try changing some power option of your laptop that may do the trick.
- Open Power Option and click on Change plan settings then Change advanced power settings.
- Expand Hard disk then Turn off hard disk after and set it to Never.
- Expand Allow hybrid sleep and set it to Never, set Hibernate after to Never as well.
- On Power Option main menu, on the left pane click on Change what the power buttons do.
- Once open under Shutdown settings remove the check on Turn on fast startup then click Save changes.
- Also do disable the screen saver mode of your PC when it idles.

gddrummerboy

Reputable
Mar 22, 2015
I tried all of it and got no luck :(. Anything else you can think of to diagnose what the problem is? My RAM sticks are the only things I can think of that could be it based on the specific way it crashes. It passed memtest86 though so I guess it's not that.

KineticFrost

Reputable
Feb 3, 2016

I have the same problem with my Asus AMD A10 with windows 10 pre-installed. Sometimes clicking on the toolbar at the bottom will refresh the screen. Other times no response and ctrl alt delete doesn't work in win10. Then I tried pressing the windows key and that worked. It refreshed my desktop and everything worked again. I still have to isolate what's causing this but it got me out of the lock up.

Solution