Gigabyte z170x Gaming 6 problems, please help

Callistora

Reputable
Jan 1, 2016
So I previously had an Asus motherboard and RMA'd it because I thought I couldn't have more than 3 USB devices plugged in since the machine would power off instantly when plugging in a 3rd or sometimes 4th device. I decided to buy a Gigabyte z170x Gaming 6 instead of waiting on the RMA and everything was running okay for a couple hours until I started getting a windows notification saying that a USB device was using too much power and it powered off some of the USB ports until I reset the computer.

I've narrowed the device down to my yeti microphone. I seem able to plug in all (5) usb devices if fine but the moment I plug in my mic my computer either instantly shuts off or I get the windows notification. This mic worked fine in my old computer with the same psu, which is new, but my it also uses less power I'm sure.

Does anyone know if this an issue with the motherboard or PSU? Or the mic itself? I don't mind trying out a powered usb hub for my mic if that's the problem but I want to make sure I don't have a faulty piece of hardware. The usb devices I use be are razer keyboard and Naga mouse, xbox wifi controller, speakers, and logitech webcam.

Some other issues I've had are the volume on the computer is very loud, have to put it down to 4 and hear popping/distortion. And also at one point some icons in a game launcher were artifacted (black blocks) after computer stopped responding from pulling my headphone jack, although video card seemed to run fine in the game I was playing.

Asus strix Gtx 970
Gskill 2400 16gb ram
Samsung 500 ssd
WD blue 1 tb hdd
EVGA 750w psu

If someone can please, please help me figure what's going on and if I need to have anything replaced I'd really appreciate it. This whole computer building process has been quite overwhelming and stressful.

Callistora

Reputable
Jan 1, 2016
Ok so update, after doing some troubleshooting I went to Best Buy and bought a new mini USB cable for the Yeti mic and also a powered USB hub in case that did not work. Changing the cord fixed the issue it seems, so far at least, I have 6 USB devices in and no problems as of yet and I've tried it in multiple ports, just in case. I even put it in a certain 3.0 port that when I plugged it in and would shut off my computer and had no issue. I plugged in the old cord with no device and I still do get that error so I'm assuming the cord was just causing a short of some sort ? Anyone know if that's possible or if I should still look into my PSU being a problem? Needless to say probably gonna throw away the cable.

Also would the cord have done any damage to anything if it was using too much power, because it was on without issue for 3-4 hours before I even started getting that error and it was also usable on my old computer for a long time with no issue too.

Still having trouble with the sound though. I uninstalled Soundblaster software and going to see if that makes a difference tonight with the addition of not having a yeti mic causing power issue in my computer I hope the distortion is fixed but if not and someone has a suggestion on what to do hardware/software wise let me know.