Sparks/Flickering sounds from PSU

Amir1987

Reputable
Oct 24, 2015
Hi guys,

First I wanna thank all members of Toms Hardware for their support and sharing their experiences. The suggestions I receive here are always useful.....

Now coming to the issue of the day; I just bought a sealed (probably new) Antec EarthWatts 550W Platinum PSU. I said probably new because that shop normally deals in used components but they sometime have new products with damaged or no packaging. And it has Antec seal on the screw confirming that the PSU is not repaired. Anyways....

The problem with that PSU is that it makes buzzing/sparking/flickering sounds when I turn off the rear power button of the PSU. However, it doesn't make any sound when I turn on the same button. Similarly, it doesn't make any noise when I plug or unplug the power cable or the extension switch. Also, it doesn't make any noise when the computer turns on or off.
I repeat it only makes sound when I turn off that rear power button of the PSU.

Now I wanna the experts, if this something dangerous? Will this problem slowing and gradually increase? Will it damage the other components of my PC? And what if I don't use that PSU's rear power button anymore, will it still be a problem or I am safe on this?

PS: The PSU is not in a warranty but I can exchange it in the next couple of days but that shop had only one EarthWatts PSU Platinum. I mean this was the best he had. If I change I may have to compromise on quality like I can buy Antec EcoNeo 520W.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
I would not trust anything in my house that was acting like that. Just the possibility of a fire is not really a good thing. the NeoEco is not to bad of a power supply I have a 400 watt one in my wives PC been going strong about 5 years. Not the best quality but their a lot worse.

Amir1987

Reputable
Oct 24, 2015

But I wanna make sure what the problem with it? It makes flickering noise only and only when I am turning the PSU power button off. I mean it makes noise just as I press the power button and make noise until I turn in completely off.... Like if I press it quickly it makes light sound and if I press it slowly it makes sound longer...

I hope I making the point..... It seems like the problem is with that power button but I am not sure why it is happening....

Amir1987

Reputable
Oct 24, 2015

But I wanna make sure what the problem with it? It makes flickering noise only and only when I am turning the PSU power button off. I mean it makes noise just as I press the power button and make noise until I turn in completely off.... Like if I press it quickly it makes light sound and if I press it slowly it makes sound longer...

I hope I making the point..... It seems like the problem is with that power button but I am not sure why it is happening....