windows boot problems after attempting reboot in safe mode

buchananjesse

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2010
I'm currently experiencing a substantial issue with windows 10 and rebooting in safe mode. My computer boots fine until I attempt a reboot in safe mode at which point I get the windows icon and the spinning circle for eternity. Only way to get through this is doing a complete windows reset which uninstalls all my programs and games. It has happened again for the second time in 3 days so luckily I haven't installed as much as I had on there the first time it happened. I have attempted to get back into windows with all the other options offered through the windows boot menu but the only successful way I've been able to see my desktop again is by choosing to reset it. Googling states the reboot loop is possibly attributed to a faulty update however that's from some time in mid 2015 and I can't even boot into my desktop to fix anything as turning my computer off and turning it back on again just results in a loop, restarting results in a loop - everything but a complete reset results in a loop. If anyone has any clues as to how I go about solving this issue I would greatly appreciate it.
Thanks again,
Jesse
Edit:
After further search I've found the same issue in a few other people attributing it to bitdefender total security 2016 and windows 10 home. http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?showtopic=59836
I think this is the cause of the issue.

buchananjesse

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2010
"I recently got a new laptop with Windows 10 (yesterday) and the first software I installed onto it was Bitdefender Internet Security 2016 and updated it. Afterwards, I installed Chrome and VLC media player then tried to do a restart but encountered the restart loop problem. Had to do a system restore. This morning, I re-installed Bitdefender Internet Security 2016 and chrome, and again I encountered the same problem, leading to another system restore. I'm not sure but based on this, I believe that there is some sort of incompatibility between Bitdefender Internet Security 2016 and Windows 10." - This mirrors the issue I'm getting perfectly. After resetting I have no programs or games installed and installing chrome, vlc and bitdefender and restarting gives me the inescapable looping. I'm skeptical on whether a reformat and reinstall of the OS will offer different results since the files leftover in a reset are documents and videos.

buchananjesse

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2010
Alrighty so it looks like it might have been a USB peripheral plugged into the back of my PC that was causing the looping on rebooting into safe mode... not sure why it was only occurring in safe mode.