NAS for temporary small office or other options? Looking at QNAP

Islander516

Reputable
Apr 14, 2015
There are times where I need to set up a small network for work and internet access is through a cradlepoint modem / cell service. We pretty much need to create a small office in a temporary location. I want to set up a shared drive on the local network, however, there will be times when people are on different work groups as they will be coming from different companies.

Additionally, because of the way we have to access the internet (through a modem connected with a sim card), i would like to limit the amount of data that needs to move outside of the local network. However, access by remote parties would be very beneficial. In addition I want the ability to backup the local storage to our main office servers.

The goal is to share a drive without requiring identical work groups and internet access. Additionally I will need to restrict use to certain folders on a per user basis.

I have looked at NAS systems but still have a lot to learn. Specifically I am looking at a QNAP 253.

Once the NAS is set up to our router, I should just be able to add it on computer by going to the run window and typing \\ followed by the NAS name or ip address.

Does anybody know how that users access will then work? I want it to show up as a hard drive in windows explorer, I don't want people needing to go through a web browser or a program. Additionally I would want to confirm their access through an admin panel somehow and add them to groups to regulate their access. I believe this is all possible with QNAP but am still pouring through the tutorial videos and google for answers.

Is a NAS the best option or does something else seem more appropriate.

JaredDM

Honorable
QNAP certainly isn't a bad option, though I must admit I'm very partial to Synology. Even their cheap home units have a full suite of plug in packages that can do just about anything you want. After using a few other brands, I'm now only buying Synology for my needs. You might consider something like a DS215+ which is right in the range you're looking at.

But, to answer your other question: Yes, you will need to set up shares, configure the user accounts on the NAS. Then you can simply map the network drives in explorer so it's a drive on each computer. All NAS boxes are capable of this.

JaredDM

Honorable

Yes, the NAS will need to be assigned to a workgroup for the Windows file sharing service. If you have computers from multiple workgroups that need access you might consider using the Synology cloud station feature. It keeps a copy of the synced folders both locally on the workstation as well as keeping versioned copies on the NAS. You can then configure what folders are synced on each users station regardless of their workgroup or even their location. It'll work over the internet or the LAN.

Islander516

Reputable
Apr 14, 2015
Hmm, ok.
I spoke with QNAP tech support as well, they said identical work group is only needed if I want to map through windows explorer. I can add it through the run window by typing \\"NAS Name" or \\"NAS IP". It will then show up in explorer under Network Devices.

Do you know what kind of port forwarding I might need to look into? Ive forwarded ports several times before when I had instructions on which ones to forward, but I wouldn't know how to figure out what ports need to be forwarded.

I appreciate the help, trying to get a solid of idea of how everything will work before spending the money.

JaredDM

Honorable
Windows networking is Windows networking. You'll have all the same capabilities and limitations whether you go with Qnap, Synology, or anything else. The port forwarding is pretty easy on these units now, they can generally open ports on their own just using UPnP through most routers.