An Odd Question

Yankeetown1357

Honorable
May 28, 2014
Hello all, kind of a weird question but I have to ask as my curiosity gets the best of me sometimes, [Strike]and my stupidity.[/Strike]
So if I were to upgrade to windows 10 from windows 7 using the free upgrade. Would it just be like doing a fresh install of windows but having data saved?

Thanks in advance.

An upgrade from a clean install of Windows 7 + Updates, up to Windows 10 will also use 70GB+ on the HDD/SSD. This capacity may or may not get parsed after the 30-day trial crap... as it removes your Windows.old file(s).

cosmoji

Reputable
Aug 7, 2015
ok to clear all this up, no, its not a fresh install, its an upgrade. this has caused some issues for some people, but you should not expect a problem, as they're the exception.

you CAN do a fresh install on your own however afterwards, once your update is complete and verified.

when the upgrade is done, you have 30 days to "roll back" the upgrade to your previous operating system, after which the files the os needs to do that roll back are automatically deleted.

neither the upgrade or the roll back are fresh installs and as such do not delete your files. your my documents will still be there, your games and such will still be installed.

all that being said, backups are always a good idea before making a change like this.

that help?