How to install legal windows 10 for ssd+hdd

Void92

Reputable
Oct 8, 2014
Hello, i've bought a ssd and now i want to reinstall windows on hdd and install it on ssd, to get ssd+hdd. My windows 10 is legal, got it from upgrading windows 8.

Question is, can i install this windows on both drives, won't i get banned for this? and am i doing it right, reinstalling windows on hdd alone, that unplug hdd, plug ssd, installing windows there and then to connect them together and choose ssd to boot up first in BIOS?

P.S. why am i can't change my hardware specs in my profile? there's no "edit" button.
P.P.S. sorry for my grammar :)

Solution

The best thing...

apanpapan3

Reputable
Jan 5, 2016
The proper way to set this up is to install Windows on your SSD only. You only need it on one of your drives. To get windows on your SSD, reinstall windows and choose to remove files and programs during the process (backup any important data before doing this). When this is done and you have a clean version of Windows and no other software, plug in your SSD and use a tool such as Macrium Reflect (http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx) to clone all data (in this case Windows only) to your SSD. Then choose your SSD as primary boot drive in your BIOS, and then wipe the HDD, and you will be able to access it as additional storage space.

Void92

Reputable
Oct 8, 2014

But in that case i won't be able to boot up hdd w/o that ssd, which is bad

TommyFamzy

Reputable
Apr 18, 2015

The best thing to do is format your hdd and fresh install windows on your ssd, that is the best thing to do in my eyes

Solution

apanpapan3

Reputable
Jan 5, 2016

Yes, that is easier (and safer) but my solution is free, and he wanted to have Windows installed on both drives so that he could boot from any of them.

apanpapan3

Reputable
Jan 5, 2016

If you want to be able to boot from any of the drives, clone the HDD to the SSD, but don't wipe the HDD.

Void92

Reputable
Oct 8, 2014

I'll do so, i don't have any info that i'm afraid to lose on my hdd yet, so getting fresh windows is always good

Void92

Reputable
Oct 8, 2014
I got 2 hdds a long time ago, and 1 of them was w\o windows, and i remember that i got some troubles with that. So i don't know, it's just to make me worry less i guess.

Ibu2awesome

Reputable
Jan 12, 2016

After this, you can set up an ultimate SSHD config with Save locations in Windows 10, where you can select where you want your apps, documents, music, pictures and videos to go to, the SSD or the HDD. To access the feature, go to Settings -> System -> Storage -> Save locations and set what you want where...