Chrome redirecting to ads, how can I fix it?

TanFrash1

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2014
I recently formatted my HDD and installed Windows 10. I have already downloaded some files, and possibly one of them had a virus, although my antivirus (Avast) didn't say a word. The issue is that, from time to time, Chrome redirects to this newpoptab.com page, which in turn redirects to a random ad. This doesn't really bother me, but I don't like the idea that an adware is running free in my PC, could you help me?

I have already:
- Did a scan with the antivirus
- Reinstalled Chrome
- Checked all the software installed in my PC

Nykyria

Honorable
Jan 12, 2014
I had the same issues with Chrome. I actually had to contact them and basically, even though you delete chrome from your computer the browser still remembers everything the way it remembers your email account and bookmarks. The way I fixed mine is to open Chrome, go to the menu, select 'settings', click 'show advanced settings', scroll to the bottom and click 'reset settings'. The message you get is as follows:
Your settings will be restored to their original defaults. This will reset your homepage, new tab page and search engine, disable your extensions, and unpin all tabs. It will also clear other temporary and cached data, such as cookies, content and site data

FYI you many want to copy your bookmarks to another browser or write them down. I believe this also resets all passwords too. I have had no more issues with pop-ups, auto-open tabs, redirection to another search engine, and unwanted ads since I reset the browser and blocked the site that did all that in the first place.

Hope that helps!