Windows 10 Old Graphics Drivers Reinstalling With Auto Updates

Aleo1997

Reputable
Dec 10, 2015
Hello Ladies and Gents,
I have a windows 10 problem! I know right? Some may be asking "How could this happen? Windows 10 never has problems!" *Intense Sarcasm Intended*

Anyway, to the problem:

I have already looked everywhere and tried already "proven" fixes but to no avail. My Windows 10 update likes to take over and restart my computer. A lot. And when it does this, it updates all my graphics drivers! Hooray!
I used to have an older Nvidia GTX 8800 that was installed in the machine when I bought it used off Craigslist. Anyway, the latest DirectX wasn't compatible so I upgraded to a GTX 960. Everything ran beautifully with no problems on Windows 7, but problems started to pop up left and right once I opted for the free Windows 10 upgrade. Majority of the problems were linked to the preinstalled drivers. In fact, it was so bad I ended up giving up and trying a clean install of windows 10, wiping all my harddrives in the process.

Well, problems persisted.

My screen will randomly go black at times while playing games - It appears to turn off then back on and be totally blank showing only a "No Input Signal Detected" message, even though I can still hear the computer program running in the background and I am still able to communicate via my headset through the game. I traced this back to my graphics card failing because it had interfering drivers. When going into device manager, it shows drivers for both my currently installed GTX 960 and the previously installed 8800 which had downloaded from the windows update. Whenever I delete the old driver and reinstall the correct one, it will just reinstall itself overnight. I have searched everywhere and tried all remedies recommended but to no avail.

I've used a DDU to wipe my system of all traces of the old driver. Didn't work.
I've used wushowhide as recommended by windows for stopping the autoupdates. Didn't work.
I've tried turning off windows updates. Didn't work.
Everything recommended to fix my problem just doesn't work for me.

So now I come to you, all powerful Tom's Hardware Forum users.
Please help me. All I want is to play Fallout 4 without these stupid problems...

Also, if it means anything, whenever I delete the old 8800 driver and reinstall the new 960 driver, I will be forced to restart the computer to let it activate. After boot up, I will pull up the device manager to confirm that the old driver is gone and the 960 is showing as active. But there is a driver labeled "Microsoft Basic Display Adapter" that appears in the 8800's place, and it stays there until the 8800 is auto-reinstalled.

Once again, thank you all for any help you can provide. This problem has been persisting for a couple months now and I'm about ready to dump windows entirely and just move to linux... heck, i'd rather use a mac than deal with this atrocity! Which is truly a shame because I have loved Windows 10 with the exception of this.

Solution
This may be a long shot but have you tried removing CMOS battery for 5 mins before replacing, reinstalling Windows 7 clean and then availing the free upgrade path to Windows 10? Can you please pass on your full systems specs with a before and after comparison? It'd be helpful for us if you broke down the OS's used in both instances. Try and perform a repair install to see if the issue is averted.

Lutfij

Titan
This may be a long shot but have you tried removing CMOS battery for 5 mins before replacing, reinstalling Windows 7 clean and then availing the free upgrade path to Windows 10? Can you please pass on your full systems specs with a before and after comparison? It'd be helpful for us if you broke down the OS's used in both instances. Try and perform a repair install to see if the issue is averted.

Solution