[UPDATED w/ dmp file] BSOD Driver_Power_State_Failure during restart; machine fails to shutdown

AisovIamba

Reputable
Jan 7, 2016
I had an incomplete windows 10 update several days ago, and since this time I have been getting the BSOD Driver_Power_State_Failure every time I try to restart; shutting down turns off the screen but the PC remains running until I hold the power button. I've tried to follow a couple threads on this topic to fix my problem but none seem to help or apply to my situation.

dmp: here

Other details:
-Keyboard is not being recognized (though some lights are on), no matter what USB ports I put it in. This is only the case when Windows 10 is running (i.e. it works just fine in BIOS). My mouse works no matter the USB port. Keyboard (Corsair k70) doesn't show up in device manager either, and I can't do anything with the drivers for it because the board isn't recognized

-Windows is trying to download an update, but it sticks at 3%. Internet works fine for other downloads, browsing, etc. Additionally, trying to open the Settings app takes forever, with the window failing to show for several minutes despite being shown as active in the toolbar

-nVidia driver is the most recent, 361.43, but GeForce Experience takes ages to start, if it ever does. I've tried using the previous driver but it didn't seem to change anything. Samsung Magician and precision X are similarly dodgy, sometimes working and sometimes not. When Samsung Magician does start up, it indicates that my two SSDs are running fine.

-Trying things like installing drivers (for keyboard or motherboard) just doesn't seem to work. Progress on install gets to ~90% and then stops cold. In device manager, scanning for hardware changes or uninstalling drivers just sits and churns as well. Nothing is flagged as having errors, except for the monitor when in safe mode

-Trying to restore the PC to a previous state doesn't work, progress just sits and churns when "preparing" to restore. Similar story with resetting the PC, once I hit the BSOD, the PC restarts and says nothing has been changed due to an error

System Specs:

Windows 10 64
Asrock z77 Extreme 4
i5-3570k (running stock speed, removed the OC after issues started)
Corsair H110 cooler (not sure if that'll matter)
evga GTX 980, running stock
24GB RAM, DDR3 1600

Hardware appears to be running fine, good temps and nothing weird outside of what is described above, other than certain items refusing to install or update, the system runs just as fast as usual.

Any help that you folks can provide is much appreciated!

Regards,
Chris

basically, your system asked some hardware for to do some power function, the hardware did not respond and 300 seconds later a bugcheck was called because of it.

For a problem like this you would have to provide a kernel memory dump. The debug info is not provided in a mini memory dump. how to change memory dump type:
https://www.sophos.com/en-us/support/knowledgebase/111474.aspx
(select kernel dump rather than a full memory dump) This will save the USB info, the plug and play debug info and various internal logs.

Most often this turns to be a bug in the BIOS or in a 3rd party driver.
looking at the BIOS updates, there is only one and it does not look like it will help.
http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Z77%20Extreme4/?cat=Download&os=BIOS
there are 5 driver updates that you should install:
http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Z77%20Extreme4/?cat=Download&os=Win1064
(install the drivers but not the utilities until the problem is resolved)
(the updated audio driver for the motherboard helps with graphics problems and memory corruption problems)

in terms of drivers:
this one tends to be associated with memory corruption problems, you might remove it
C:\Program Files (x86)\EVGA\PrecisionX 16\WinRing0\WinRing0x64.sys Wed May 01 19:19:47 2013

you might also try to update your logitech mouse drivers:
Logitech Gaming KMDF HID driver (your versions are from 2013)
http://support.logitech.com/en_us/home

your Broadcom NetLink Gigabit Ethernet NDIS6.x Unified Driver is old
\SystemRoot\System32\drivers\k57nd60a.sys Wed Oct 30 00:14:03 2013
you might find a update here: http://www.broadcom.com/support/
if you can figure out the correct device.

machine info:
BIOS Version P2.80
BIOS Release Date 01/17/2013
Manufacturer ASRock
Product Z77 Extreme4
Processor Version Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz
Processor Voltage 95h - 2.1V
External Clock 100MHz
Max Speed 3800MHz
Current Speed 3400MHz

AisovIamba

Reputable
Jan 7, 2016

Thank you for the response. My problem with going through drivers is that I couldn't update anything. Trying to update mobo drivers stopped around 80% through the installation and just hung there forever.

Fortunately, in one last attempt to reset Windows, everything went fine. It actually still gave me the BSOD, but after the restart my computer was finally recognizing the keyboard and was able to accept driver installations without those freezing up. I have gotten all the mobo drivers installed and updated all other component drivers as well and everything is back to normal. My takeaway is that whatever went wrong with the Windows update (which has since gone through smoothly) really messed with my machine's ability to recognize components and apply drivers while Windows was running.

Anyway, I really appreciate you taking the time to sort through the (wrong type of) dump file, and if I have the misfortune of getting this error again I will certainly follow your advice.