Secondary Monitor Issue with Nvidia (Monitor, Cable, and Ports good)

gunnanator

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2011
So I have an issue that I've tried troubleshooting which has persisted in Windows 7 and a clean install of Windows 10.

I have a GTX 970 with 3 Display Ports, A DVI, and an HDMI port.
I have a Benq XL2410T primary Monitor, and a ViewSonic Vx922 (bit older monitor) secondary monitor.

Primary is 1920 x 1080 120hz, secondary is 1280 x 1024 60/75 hz (Was having issues with 75 hz towards the end.)

Now here's the issue:

The monitor is read. I can see it on my Windows settings and my Nvidia control panel. The monitor works perfectly fine, as does the cable and the port. I've checked 10x over with each.

Sometimes when I restart, my monitor comes on and it's fine and dandy for as long as it stays on. I can shut the monitor off, back on and it's fine. I can use it like a regular monitor up until the point that I reset the pc and even then it'll sometimes just come right back on with the reboot like it's perfect. Then sometimes when I restart it doesn't come on and it's a pain to get it to come back on. It just blinks green, it would stay orange if it didn't read a connection. Once in a blue moon it'll come back on when I unplug and replug it. Otherwise, it usually takes several restarts and it'll come on eventually... but when I say several, I mean a bunch.

I'm using a DVI to HDMI cable on the secondary monitor. It's been tested on my primary with no issues, the secondary monitor works fine with no issues on other machines with this cable and with other cables, this video card will display through the HDMI and/or DVI on multiple monitors or single monitors with no issues. It's just this monitor works intermittent, but operates perfectly fine when it does happen to work. The only issue with trying to run at 75hz. It does it just fine, same scenario, but it's much more rare to get it to work on 75hz compared to 60hz.

I'm stumped, any advice?

Solution
So I'm posting an answer to my own solution... here on Tom's using google I found an old thread discussing an issue with this monitor. I guess it was blind luck that caused my monitor to work on my other machine consitently but being that at the moment I cannot afford a new monitor I'm going to have to get some new components to fix this one.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/247964-33-viewsonic-vx922-monitor-black-screen-green-power-light-flashes

Basically, the capacitors I have on the Power Supply are swollen. They are bad and need to be replaced. There are three on mine that are shot, just need to find new ones and solder them in.

Hopefully anybody with this series of monitor that may have an issue in the future will see the...

gunnanator

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2011
So I'm posting an answer to my own solution... here on Tom's using google I found an old thread discussing an issue with this monitor. I guess it was blind luck that caused my monitor to work on my other machine consitently but being that at the moment I cannot afford a new monitor I'm going to have to get some new components to fix this one.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/247964-33-viewsonic-vx922-monitor-black-screen-green-power-light-flashes

Basically, the capacitors I have on the Power Supply are swollen. They are bad and need to be replaced. There are three on mine that are shot, just need to find new ones and solder them in.

Hopefully anybody with this series of monitor that may have an issue in the future will see the solution.

Solution