Brand new HP Win 10 notebook plus Samsung 850 Evo plus Icy Box - my questions

Anna Nuema

Reputable
Jan 8, 2016
The first start of the notebook is not yet done. The SSD shall become OS disk. Notebooks HDD shall become data or backup disk - in Icy box.
I thought of
1. performing that first start of the notebook,
2. install Samsung tools,
3. plug in the SSD with the Samsung delivered USB 3.0-SATA-data-cable and
4. perform data Migration with that Samsung tool.
5. change drives – HDD out, SSD in
I read a little bit now about guarantee items about replacing a drive that is not a HP “customer replacement unit”. I read about working with other than Samsung tools. I read about not using the data cable.
But I did not find too much about when to replace the SSD from its outside plug USB position to its inside notebook SATA position. Do I have to change BIOS settings in that process? Is Samsung data migration tool able to support these replacement steps?
My other big question is about guarantee. Honestly said I simply hope that in case of I need the guarantee I can just replace SSD with HDD and HP accepts this. But I’d like some opinions or experience reports about doing so.
Yes, I think these are my first questions. Any help, ideas, opinions will be greatly appreciated. Please give attention to that of course I will use actual versions of Samsung tools. Today it’s the 8th of January 2016, the notebook, as said, is brand new, no upgrade installation of Windows 10. Windows activation should not be my problem, right?
Am I totally missing something?
Best regards
Anna

Solution
If this is a laptop that came with a genuine version of Windows 10(activation key) then you can perform your hardware swap and reinstall Windows 10 via a bootable USB installer. You also need to contact HP regarding the warranty of your unit in case it is compromised after a HDD/SSD DIY replacement.

Data migration will not be an issue but if you plan to clone the OS's installation directory and then impose it on your SSD, the installation will be unstable and you will eventually be reinstalling Windows 10 which you could have done from the get go after dropping in your SSD. Backup your data onto an external storage device(i.e a pen drive) while your HDD is yet inside the laptop in case the reintroduction of the HDD doesn't...

Lutfij

Titan
If this is a laptop that came with a genuine version of Windows 10(activation key) then you can perform your hardware swap and reinstall Windows 10 via a bootable USB installer. You also need to contact HP regarding the warranty of your unit in case it is compromised after a HDD/SSD DIY replacement.

Data migration will not be an issue but if you plan to clone the OS's installation directory and then impose it on your SSD, the installation will be unstable and you will eventually be reinstalling Windows 10 which you could have done from the get go after dropping in your SSD. Backup your data onto an external storage device(i.e a pen drive) while your HDD is yet inside the laptop in case the reintroduction of the HDD doesn't go according to plan and the OS doesn't boot up.

Solution