Random crashes, BSOD with driver verifier while booting.

upsidedownknife

Reputable
Jan 8, 2016
Hello, recently I've been facing a problem with my computer. My PC will randomly just crash, it'll happen anytime. I'd be playing a game, surfing facebook/twitch/youtube/gmail, it just happens. It does not display a BSOD crash, my monitor will turn white/gray and I'll be unable to do anything except restart. It's not a frequent occurrence might happen multiple times in the same day or not happen for days, I don't know how to reproduce it.

I went ahead and ran driver verifier, my windows wouldn't even boot without safe mode, it kept BSOD'ing before the boot finished. I'm including a link to the dmp file and my system specs.

dmp file
system specs

I JUST did a fresh install of windows as well, disabled automatic windows driver updates & installed latest drivers from AMD website, the "crash" hasn't happened yet; it's only been a couple hours since fresh install; but it did occur after I did a clean install a week ago.

To add a bit more info, I got a r9 270x as an upgrade over my hd 7750 about 2 months ago. For the first month everything ran fine with no crash whatsoever. However, since around early december/late november, I've experienced this "crash" problem. My assumption is a windows update messing things up. I'd go back to using windows 7 in an instant, but my games lag a bit on windows 7 as compared to windows 10, which is probably the difference between the directX.

Solution
the system bugchecked on
\SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\atikmpag.sys Fri Dec 04 08:42:57 2015

it looks like verifier has added new code integrity checks and this driver fails.
Basically the new security wants the code section to be execute only but it was built as execute and writable. This allows a program to inject/modify code in the executable.

you should be able to turn this off by excluding the driver in the verifier testing.
for example"
verifier.exe /standard /all /driver.exclude atikmpag.sys atikmdag.sys

most likely the other ati driver will also hit this problem you might want to exclude it also.

I would also make sure you installed the windows 10 version of the driver. I think AMD would be getting reports of this...
the system bugchecked on
\SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\atikmpag.sys Fri Dec 04 08:42:57 2015

it looks like verifier has added new code integrity checks and this driver fails.
Basically the new security wants the code section to be execute only but it was built as execute and writable. This allows a program to inject/modify code in the executable.

you should be able to turn this off by excluding the driver in the verifier testing.
for example"
verifier.exe /standard /all /driver.exclude atikmpag.sys atikmdag.sys

most likely the other ati driver will also hit this problem you might want to exclude it also.

I would also make sure you installed the windows 10 version of the driver. I think AMD would be getting reports of this problem and would fix it.

I could not read the BIOS info from the memory dump, this often indicates the BIOS should be updated or reset to defaults to clear corruption. (not sure)

you will also want to install the new driver for the motherboard audio to prevent strange memory corruptions caused by a conflict between the motherboard audio and the GPU audio support for the HDMI video cable.
looks like they have a updated ethernet driver also:
http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4122#driver

Solution