unresponsive start button and Edge icon does not appear on taskbar

casey_the_beagle

Reputable
Sep 2, 2015
Hello,

As mentioned, when I hover over the start key or left click on the start key nothing happens. Right click works fine. Same Microsoft edge; when I hover over the blank space on my taskbar it says Microsoft Edge, but the icon does not appear and I cannot right or left click it. same with my network icon. I can right click, but left click does nothing.

I've tried the reinstall apps as suggested in some forums, to no avail. Have tried a few of those suggestions, to no avail.

any ideas?

thanks,

sam

Solution

Hello again casey_the_beagle

In case you don't wish to use the Start button, you can use the Contrana's search box that is present next to the button.

In the Cortana search box, you can type Control Panel and then click...
"I would like to also mention that this problem is unique to me. The other users on this pc (kids and wife) are ok. they/I can access the start / edge / network icons no problem. HUH????"

This was helpful. Most likely, your user profile is corrupt. A simple rectification would be to back up all your files from the My Documents, My Pictures, etc. folders and also from your Desktop, and after that:

Assuming that you are using a local Windows 10 account and not a Microsoft account, to be as simple as possible:

Option 01

> Log on with another user account that has administrator privileges.

> Go to C:\Users\<folder with your user name>.

> Select and delete all its contents.

> Log off from the current account and log back in with the one having problems.

> Wait until Windows 10 creates a new profile for the user.

This should resolve the issue. If it doesn't, you can:

Option 02:

> Right-click the Start button.

> Click Computer Management.

> From the left pane of the Computer Management snap-in, expand Local Users and Groups.

> Right-click the Users container.

> Click New User.

> Populate the available fields in the opened box to create a new user account.

> After creating, log off from the currently logged in account, and log back in with the new one you just created.

> If you find everything working as expected, you can follow the steps given above to go to the Users container and delete the old account from there.

> After this, if you want, you can rename the new account as per your preferred naming convention.

Feel free to report back if further assistance is needed.

Cheers!! :)

casey_the_beagle

Reputable
Sep 2, 2015
I'd like to create first, backup to the newly created then delete. Is that possible?

Since there are no other users with admin privileges, I logged onto my account to create another one.

However, on the "computer management" pane there is no "Local Users and Groups", only

system tools
storage
services and applications.

I can't even change my wife's account into admin since I can't get onto set-up through start.

is there a way to give one of the other accounts admin privileges without using start?

In case you don't wish to use the Start button, you can use the Contrana's search box that is present next to the button.

In the Cortana search box, you can type Control Panel and then click the Control Panel option that appears in the suggested list.

From the Control Panel window:

> Click Change account type from under the User Accounts category.

> On the next window, click to select the user account that you wish to promote as administration.

> On the next window, click the Change the account type link.

> From the Choose a new account type for.. window, click to select the Administrator radio button.

> Click the Change Account Type button from the bottom when done.

> Close the window, log off from your current account, and log back in using the one you just made admin.

Note: Before changing the account type, make sure that the account you are using is an administrator itself.

Hope this helps.

Cheers!! :)

Solution
G

Hi guys,
Well not sure whether this problem is a bug due to some update, but I have check three laptops on window 10 on usage of about 1 to 3 weeks or so. I did solve this and it work fine. Some guy gave me this procedure which you can adopt:
Access : Advanced system settings ( Right click 'This PC' then 'Properties'. you can see Advanced system settings on left side bar. Under the tab 'Advanced' click 'settings' under 'Performance'. There you have some check boxes.....uncheck 'Animation in the taskbar' custom option.
Hope this will help you. Thanks.