Advice for transferring data from old PC to Windows 10

polyesterpeanut

Reputable
Aug 24, 2015
Recently I have been trying to back up my old computer by creating a system image and saving it to an external hard drive to boot from. After many hours I discovered making an external USB drive mimic a local disk is a lot more complex than I originally thought it would be. Therefore, what is the best program to use for copping my personal files from my windows 8 PC into my windows 10 PC? I tried Macrium Reflect however when I tried to re-access some of my video files they came out corrupted with no video. I am open to any recommendations.

USAFRet

Titan

You've built a whole new PC, and it's running Win 10 on its own?

If so, just connect that old drive as another internal, and copy what you need off of it.

polyesterpeanut

Reputable
Aug 24, 2015

I'm selling my old PC.

polyesterpeanut

Reputable
Aug 24, 2015

Maybe I wasn't very clear. I made this thread to ask the best software to copy personal files off of a local disk. I don't need all the files (ex: System 32) just user data/media specific to myself. Macrium Reflect, in addition to copying my entire drive, screwed up several of my files when I tried to transfer them over to Windows 10, so I don't want to use it again. Lastly, my old computer is prebuilt and a lot of the cables are tied down in a very, very compact case. I really don't want to spend a few hours digging the HDD out, installing it in my new case, making another entire system copy, and reinstalling it back into the old computer.