Why is the Nvidia 780ti so expensive?

Docwinter

Reputable
Jan 6, 2016
I bought this graphics card awhile ago and built a whole build around SLI and I've been waiting two years for the price to go down and this card STILL has not lost value. If anything, it seemed to rise. I think the card was about $500-600 bucks. It's almost not even worth waiting anymore. Might as well upgrade to the 980ti.

Why is this thing holding its price so well?
Should I just SLI with two 780ti's or move on to SLI two 980ti's?
Thoughts?

P.S. Quick question, I'm running 800w gold would need a 1200w PSU to SLI if the power draw from one 780ti is 600w?

That's how it is with nvidia cards. Even after years in the market the price will not going to drop because nvidia did not officially cut the price. Nvidia is quite clever with this stuff. Usually when they are close to launch new series of cards they will EOL their cards much earlier so they don't have many unsold stock when new series officially launch. The lack of stock will cause the price to maintain or even increase if there is still more demand for it.

For AMD they actually have the opposite problem of nvidia. Often they have many unsold stock puahing them to officially cut their price. Those mining craze? In the end it creates headache for AMD when miner dump their cards on used market (i think they did talk about this in one of their earnings)

Now as for your PSU question 850w should do. Your 800w gold might be able to pull it off....if you did not count in overclocking.

JUICEhunter

Honorable
Oct 23, 2013
My buddy got an evga sc 780ti for $180 on evga b stock, mind you he ordered it the moment he saw it and they were all gone an hour later, that being said getting a used 780ti would be ideal as someone like myself or yourself would not expect $5-6 bills for their 780ti.

Value wise it was expensive to make. (384 bit bus, 2880 Kepler cores)

port27

Reputable
Dec 15, 2015
Because the 780ti is still a beast of a card and pretty close to a 980 in terms of raw performance. That's why its still expensive. I personally would not Sli/crossfire any cards. If you can get one single powerful card that's your best bet.