is my Thermaltake power supply still safe to use? 600 watt, bought 5+ years ago

tuesday0108

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2010
Dear Community,

I was reading over some of the tier power supply posts and I got scared. I currently use the below power supply and I'm not sure if it's safe to use with my Intel I5 6500 processor + GTX 970 graphics card. I've had that Thermaltake 600w power supply for about five + years now. It used to power my Intel core 2 duo and Phenom II x4, along with gt 9500, gtx 260, hd 4870 all way up to a hd 6950. Most reviews about my unit reviewed old components like core 2 duo, the AMD phenom II so I'm not sure if it's still safe for my current setup. So far, It still works.
Can anyone advise if I should change it out for a newer model?

Thermaltake Purepower W0129RU 600 W ATX12V SLI Ready Active PFC Power Supply

Sneezer

Reputable
Dec 28, 2015
You'll basically run into two problems - instead voltage and not having the correct or enough connectors.

The connector issue solves itself. If you don't have enough or don't have the right types, I'd suggest getting a new one. The 970 will require more power than the 75W the PCIe puts out so it will need between 1-6pin connector, 2-6pin connectors, and maybe a 6pin and an 8pin (6+2pin). Can't skimp on those. It probably won't run without them and if it does, it will probably burn out without them. With it having "SLI Ready" in the title, it almost definitely has enough connectors. Not all graphics cards require extra power for a SLI connection and that being listed in the name suggests it was ready to power bigger cards that require the connectors you'll need.

The shaky voltage is hard to monitor without software that's reading voltages from your motherboard. You can monitor them in BIOS but that's not under the conditions you'd be running normally (for instance, gaming). If your motherboard doesn't come with that software, I don't know of a workaround. Unfortunately, you probably wouldn't know it until your CPU, GPU, HDD/SDD, or RAM go bad and even then, they can go bad for other reasons. Usually, though, your motherboard will sense this and shut your computer down.

You're almost definitely fine with your current PSU. If I were you and I didn't want to go throw $150 at a new PSU for the hell of it, I'd install my new GPU and give it a whirl.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
I actually *would* change out the PSU considering the age of the PSU and which Thermaltake Purepower 600 it is. Assuming you have the W0129RU and not the W0318RU, you're dealing with a very old design. Thermaltake has a frustrating tendency to change manufacturers for the same general brand info. The latter Purepower 600 has a lot beefier +12V (30 A and 22 A) versus the older unit which is only 14A and 15A.

In other words, even if it can handle 14A and 15A simultaneously (it's likely a bit lower), we're only talking 348W on the +12V rails. That's what you expect today from a good *400*W PSU. It's simply an extremely old design. The (relatively) newer model of the Purepower 600 with beefier +12V rails is ATX 2.3 compliant (effective 2007, allowed +12V rails of more than 20A). The older one is 2.0 complaint (2004).

Also of note is that that both models of the Purepower 600 have two six-pin connectors, no six+two connectors.

If you're sure you have the older model, I would in fact replace it., while I'd be more willing to hang onto the newer model for now.

Sneezer

Reputable
Dec 28, 2015

I'd go with DSzymborski's suggestion. He knows more about both PSUs and GPUs than I do.