Installed windows 10 on new SSD - issues with 64 bit

vinchinator

Honorable
Feb 20, 2014
I recently upgraded to a new SSD and reinstalled windows 10 (the free upgrade version) on the new SSD (Samsung 850 Evo). I previously had windows 10 installed on a Kingston SSD before the upgrade. Everything seemed to be working fine but I have run into some odd issues.

Issue #1 - I have to run everything that is installed on the SSD as administrator for the program to run correctly. For example I have to run steam/Uplay as adminstrator for the programs to be able to install my games. Also, any time that I try to create a new folder or paste a file anywhere on the SSD it has a popup asking for permission. I did not have to do this when I had windows 10 on my kingston SSD.

Issue #2 - I have the 64bit version of windows 10 (confirmed by looking at the system settings) but every single app in the task manager is running as the 32-bit version (this includes steam, chrome, uTorrent, NVidia, etc.). I made sure to download the 64-bit installers for everything. I understand that some apps only have a 32-bit version but every single program should not be running in 32-bit.

Any suggestions to fix these issues? Thank you in advance.

Is there anything I can do to fix this? I did try some fixes that I found onl

Solution
1. You might have just turned uac off but that is normal for popups for everything like that.

2. You need to double check on the installers because you already made a mistake: steam has no 64 bit version. Googled utorrent to check and they only have 32 bit for windows. Some of nvidia processes are still 32 bit regardless. When you download chrome, you can't simply click download, it defaults to the 32 bit version. You need to go to where it says download for other platforms. Many programs are still 32 bit and have no benefit to move to 64 bit. It's a waste of time and resources. Windows also has no issues running 32 bit software. 64 bit software cannot run as 32 bit so nothing is wrong, no fix when that's not the issue.
1. You might have just turned uac off but that is normal for popups for everything like that.

2. You need to double check on the installers because you already made a mistake: steam has no 64 bit version. Googled utorrent to check and they only have 32 bit for windows. Some of nvidia processes are still 32 bit regardless. When you download chrome, you can't simply click download, it defaults to the 32 bit version. You need to go to where it says download for other platforms. Many programs are still 32 bit and have no benefit to move to 64 bit. It's a waste of time and resources. Windows also has no issues running 32 bit software. 64 bit software cannot run as 32 bit so nothing is wrong, no fix when that's not the issue.

Solution