How should I connect both of my inputs to my one monitor?

rayden54

Honorable
May 14, 2013
I just bought a new monitor. Now I need some help trying to figure out the best way to hook everything up.

Here's what I have:

• Playstation 3
    Desktop
    Monitor with an HDMI, VGA, and DVI port, a 3.5" audio output jack, and no speakers.

I also have a cheap set of speakers. They take a 3.5" audio input and also have a 3.5" audio output. I usually have them hooked up to a pair of headphones.
Now here's the problem comes in:
I can't figure out how to hook both the PS3 and Desktop up to the monitor (or to the speakers) such that I can get sound from both sources.

Right now, I can get sound from either one or the other (whichever one I connect through HDMI), but not both.

Possible solutions:
An HDMI switch?
Speakers or a soundbar that can take more than one 3.5" input?
An audio switch of some sort??
Something else entirely?

Question: What's the best option? Note: Unlike some people I've found who're asking similar questions, I don't need to hear both inputs at the same time-just whichever one is one screen at the time.

I'd prefer to not spend too much money on a solution since theoretically I could just move my headphones back and forth between the speakers (for the console) and my computer.

Solution
You can buy from e-bay a four or five port Hdmi auto switching port box that auto switches when power is applied to each Hdmi enabled device you use the box with.

The box also comes with a IR sensor and a IR remote control.
And it`s own 5v power brick.
The 5v power brick is only required if the source device does not carry it`s own voltage output via the connected Hdmi lead to it and the box.

The box I use, is this one in the link bellow from e-bay it works great.

This one is without the 5v power brick and will work with your Hdmi of your pc and your Ps3.
Carries audio across the Hdmi cable, and the video signals of course.
For £6.00, small and compact...
You can buy from e-bay a four or five port Hdmi auto switching port box that auto switches when power is applied to each Hdmi enabled device you use the box with.

The box also comes with a IR sensor and a IR remote control.
And it`s own 5v power brick.
The 5v power brick is only required if the source device does not carry it`s own voltage output via the connected Hdmi lead to it and the box.

The box I use, is this one in the link bellow from e-bay it works great.

This one is without the 5v power brick and will work with your Hdmi of your pc and your Ps3.
Carries audio across the Hdmi cable, and the video signals of course.
For £6.00, small and compact.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5-Port-HDMI-Input-Auto-Switch-Hub-Switcher-Splitter-Box-Port-for-HDTV-1080p-UK-/331118868857?hash=item4d1838f979:g:CXUAAOSwnipWVEWH

Solution