Trying to make some stuff clear(urgent)

honneylemz

Reputable
Jan 9, 2016
Hi I'm new in here and I am trying to upgrade my windows 7 32 bit into 64 bit windows 10 with clean install of course. I just want to know if I install the OS in a partition disc, will the files on the other disc get wiped out?

Situation: I have my OS on local disc D and I will install windows 10 on disc C.

Note: I only have one HDD partitioned in C and D but I will still try to back everything up on a external hard drive.
I just noticed this now cause' I've upgraded my windows XP back in 2013 and I still have my files from windows XP on my local disc C with the windows XP OS. I can still also boot to my previous OS.
Pls answer cause' I'm planning to do my upgrade in the next few days :)

Edit: Okay, I might just upgrade the 32 bit windows 7 into 64 bit windows 7 but same question. If I install the new OS in the other partitioned drive not containing my files wipe out the files of the other partition?

Solution

You need to boot from the installer, you can't upgrade directly. It should allow you to do an in place install even for a OS that was 32bit.

But yes, the recommended way is to back up, wipe the drive entirely, and make one partition
If you upgrade, no issue. If you clean install, there's an option to install over an existing version, but...
1) If you didn't provision enough space for the system reserved partion, your install partition will be need to be deleted and recreated
2) Having junk like XP on there will screw you up in the long run.

I highly suggest just backing up and doing a clean install with 10 64bit on the full drive.

honneylemz

Reputable
Jan 9, 2016

My local disc C has Gb of space. I think that would be enough. Clean install is the only option for me because I will upgrade to a 64 bit OS. Once again if I clean install will that mean that it would wipe out the whole HDD or just the partition where I installed the OS? Thanks for the reply :)

1) 1GB is nowhere near enough. You should have a minimum of 50GB to be safe.
2) It has nothing to do with disk size, rather partition order and size. If your system reserved partition is under 300MB you might need to delete the partition that comes after it. How your partitions are setup is something only you know.
3) "Clean install" is a misnomer. Basically it just means installing from scratch rather than upgrading. You can do an in-place install without deleting most data, and even if you want to delete your partition and reformat it, it's by partition not disk. Just keep in mind the requirements of 2

honneylemz

Reputable
Jan 9, 2016

Oh I might have forgot to add 53 Gb in there. My HDD is 300 Gb but I guess I might just have to format everything and recover my files from the backup. I also noticed you mentioned "in-place install" that can be done in windows XP which is only equivalent to windows 7's upgrade. Upgrade here doesn't work because I've already tried booting up the 64 bit version of windows 10 and it says that my 32 bit system doesn't match the architecture of the 64 bit installation disk (my system can handle 64 bit). A clean install might just be the way to go though I will still try to install it on my local disc C and if I'm lucky the data could still be there. Thanks for answering my questions even though I'm just going in circles.

You need to boot from the installer, you can't upgrade directly. It should allow you to do an in place install even for a OS that was 32bit.

But yes, the recommended way is to back up, wipe the drive entirely, and make one partition

Solution