Trouble cloning new SSD

eecano

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2011
Hey guys I recently purchased an SSD and installed it on my computer it is a Samsung 850 Pro. I used the Data Migration tool to clone my OS and then shutdown. I switched my current drive with it and turned the pc back on and got the INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE error. When I boot with the original HDD windows does run and I can see the SSD cloned correctly as it looks exactly like the HDD as far as files are concerned. I tried cloning it again using another program and this time right after the UEFI it just says please provide correct boot device or something like that.

BTW I do not have my original disk for Windows or anything that is why I require a clone. I am running Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

Solution
Did you migrate to Windows 10 via the free upgrade path? If so then you have to revert to your older OS after you've populated your system with the SSD. The activation key for Windows 10 is bound to the hardware and the motherboard in the UEFI if there is any changes in the hardware components(even a change in PSU) there is a high chance that the OS will not boot at all or worse throw more than one error and cause your boot device to go missing.

It's also highly recommended to install Windows 10 cleanly instead of going the cloned image route as this also tends to make Windows 10 go belly up.

If you've migrated via the free upgrade path:
1| Revert to older OS
2| Install SSD
3| Reinstall older OS and then update till you reach...

Lutfij

Titan
Did you migrate to Windows 10 via the free upgrade path? If so then you have to revert to your older OS after you've populated your system with the SSD. The activation key for Windows 10 is bound to the hardware and the motherboard in the UEFI if there is any changes in the hardware components(even a change in PSU) there is a high chance that the OS will not boot at all or worse throw more than one error and cause your boot device to go missing.

It's also highly recommended to install Windows 10 cleanly instead of going the cloned image route as this also tends to make Windows 10 go belly up.

If you've migrated via the free upgrade path:
1| Revert to older OS
2| Install SSD
3| Reinstall older OS and then update till you reach the point where you are prompted for teh free upgrade
4| Windows 10 installed and you have a functioning system.

I'd also ask you to create a bootable USB installer which will come in handy for troubleshooting. Back up your critical content as well since there are instances where people have lost everything that was on their installation drive.

Lastly, please pass on your full systems specs and if its a laptop then the make and model number.

Solution