Xbox One on 4K monitor?

FranzVrolijk

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2013
Hello.
I have noticed when playing games at sub-4K resolutions on my monitor (Acer S277HK), games tend to look really bad. Say for instance I'm playing Rainbow Six Siege and I want a constant 60FPS, then I might play it at 1440p instead of 2160p, but then for some reason everything beyond 2 feet away from my character looks horrible and very aliased. Even at 1440p it looks a lot worse than on an ordinairy 1080p monitor.

I am considering buying an Xbox One to play some exclusives, and was wondering if all the Xbox One games would then look that way, since playing in anything under 3840x2160 on my PC looks bad.

Thanks for any help!

Solution
TV's scale better than monitors. The higher you go in terms of price, the better the scaler. Despite what people say, highest end 4k TV's, still get a 9/10 for 1080p to 4k scaling, and not 10/10 as a lot of people might think. There are a few misconceptions floating around, just because 1080 is 1/4 of 4k, but those are false. LCD's once they lose 1:1 mapping, lose sharpness (introduce a blur) and it loses small detail.
I play my PS4 on my 1440p PC gaming monitor and it looks fine due to the monitor (Dell) being able to adjust and down sample to 1080p automatically. However, my PS games still look better on my dedicated 32" 1080p LG HDTV for PS3/PS4 console gaming. You will always get better results with a monitor used at its native resolution, whether it's a PC or console driving it.

TV's scale better than monitors. The higher you go in terms of price, the better the scaler. Despite what people say, highest end 4k TV's, still get a 9/10 for 1080p to 4k scaling, and not 10/10 as a lot of people might think. There are a few misconceptions floating around, just because 1080 is 1/4 of 4k, but those are false. LCD's once they lose 1:1 mapping, lose sharpness (introduce a blur) and it loses small detail.

Solution

Exactly. I notice the difference mostly in the sharpness of the PlayStation Network menu icons and text...on the downsampled 1440p monitor, it's more fuzzy than on the 1080p even though the 1080p is a larger and less pixel dense LCD. When gaming, it's more like having a lot of AA on.

It's most noticeable in racing games like Project Cars where there are lines on the sides of the track you have to watch to keep from going over in turns to keep from getting penalized. That's probably the best example since I have PCars for both my gaming PC and my PS4 and have played around using both between my 1440p and 1080p screens.

TRENDING THREADS