Getting a new SSD, what do I do with my current W10?

Troll_lol

Reputable
Dec 5, 2014
Hello guys, im planning to buy a new 120 gb SSD. The idea I have is to install W10 on it, but I don't know what to do with my current W10 on my 500gb HDD.
Do I delete it once I finished the installation on my SSD or what?
Thanks in advance.-

Solution
You can format the drive...or delete the windows data off it and keep it as a data drive (if you have many pictures, much music or videos, many games, etc.) if you need space. Alternately, use it as a backup drive. Regardless, I'd keep it for a month to ensure the new drive doesn't blow up...if it is going to, it is most likely to go out within a month*.

Is your windows 10 install retail? Otherwise, you may have trouble clean installing.

Good luck!

-

*i have no support for this statement, but have had a few devices stop working within a month of purchase...after that the risk of failure seems to drop for a while.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
While a clean install to the new SSD is always better, you can also clone the HDD to the SSD if there is enough room. http://www.howtogeek.com/97242/how-to-migrate-windows-7-to-a-solid-state-drive/

Or pare down the HDD until it fits your SSD. Then follow this guide to tweak the SSD: http://www.computing.net/howtos/show/solid-state-drive-ssd-tweaks-for-windows-7/552.html
(yes, I know the guide is a few years old, but it is still valid)

Troll_lol

Reputable
Dec 5, 2014

Thanks for reply. In the first site you shared it shows how to clone, i dont want to clone my OS, i just want to make a clean install on my new SSD, but i don't know what to do with the old OS that is currently located on my HDD

dotaloc

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2008
You can format the drive...or delete the windows data off it and keep it as a data drive (if you have many pictures, much music or videos, many games, etc.) if you need space. Alternately, use it as a backup drive. Regardless, I'd keep it for a month to ensure the new drive doesn't blow up...if it is going to, it is most likely to go out within a month*.

Is your windows 10 install retail? Otherwise, you may have trouble clean installing.

Good luck!

-

*i have no support for this statement, but have had a few devices stop working within a month of purchase...after that the risk of failure seems to drop for a while.

Solution

Troll_lol

Reputable
Dec 5, 2014

Excellent, i'm going to do that, greetings from Argentina