Why does explorer.exe size change from tiny to large

philessense

Honorable
Mar 17, 2013
This isn't so much a problem as it is a confusion, but I'd really appreciate it if you could it explain it to me.

Sometimes, my explorer.exe (on Task Manager) uses 99,000K memory and sometimes 6,000K. I don't understand what triggers it or what it is that uses a lot or what makes the usage to go very low.

When I boot up, it's usually about 18, then it often goes waaay down (right now it's 10,416) after I open Chrome and Firefox, and close them out.

But so often, it doesn't go down at all, but just keeps going up.

I've noticed this for several months and cannot replicate--so I don't understand.

Can you explain what causes the ups and downs?

Thanks.

philessense

Honorable
Mar 17, 2013
I have been more observant looking for an answer. Right now, explorer.exe is at 7,644 and it is often down to 5,000. That is UNTIL I open the Windows File system (Start>Open Windows Explorer). I just opened it and it jumped to 16,000. If I actually _use_ it or do a search, move files, or upload photos, it goes out of control until I reboot. Leaks are rampant, I guess.

Is there any way to stop the leaking (if that is what is happening) or should I just always reboot after using Windows Explorer File system. Is there another search engine which is kinder?

philessense

Honorable
Mar 17, 2013
I have found that whenever I use the filing system (Start>open windows explorer) the explorer.exe memory goes crazy. Right now, it's up to 317, 536, whereas before I did any search, it was 6,000.
Experience has shown me that closing the search/file system, will do nothing. From now on, the usage will soar until I reboot.

Does opening Windows Explorer develop some crazy leak?

Does anyone use a file system that does NOT do this, and coincidentally, does a better search (windows sucks at searching!) (I've tried most)

That is normal, once the RAM usage goes up in that, it does not drop down. Don't know why you would bother rebooting, even at 100mb of RAM usage that is a small portion of total RAM use by the system.

philessense

Honorable
Mar 17, 2013

Thanks for that information. I don't know what I was looking at when I made such an egregious typo error: It wasat least 300,000 when I rebooted.

What happens as the file grows, is it interferes with control. Toolbar icons go, and other crazy things happen until I crash out. I prefer a regular reboot where I maintain some control.

I've tried many different file managers, but haven't found one as good as Power Desk _used_ to be. PD won't install on my computer. Any ideas? Thanks!