Windows 10 PC USB ports connect/disconnecting

shebert13

Reputable
Jan 10, 2016
Hello all, first post here, hoping to find some answers to my issue.

Within the last week my PC has been making the sound when a USB device has been unplugged. At first, I thought it meant nothing or that it was the Windows 10 sound when a new message would pop up in the action center.

Over the last 48 hours however after that sound my mouse and keyboard (both USB) would both stop working until I moved them to different USB ports on the tower, then it would happen again later on until none of the USB ports would work and I would have to hard reset.

No idea really what could be causing this, I haven't installed anything recently, here is my specs.

INTEL I7-2700K 3.50 GHZ 8M LGA 1155

SSD: 960GB SanDisk Ultra II (OS)

HDD:2TB SATA III 6GB (Games and files)

PNY 32GB DDR3/ 1866 Mhz

ASETEK 510LC 120MM Watercooler

ASUS MAXIMUS IV GENE-Z/GEN 3 INTEL Z68 SLI/CROSSFIRE

800watt power supply

NVIDIA EVGA GTX 970

Thank you for any and all help

Solution
Open Event Viewer and check the logs. See if there are any entries regarding services or processes starting or stopping at the time of the USB failure(s).

Check for updated mouse and keyboard drivers. Or roll back to an earlier version if there has been a recent update.

Is your PC environment cold and dry? Perhaps some static electricty build up that discharges into the USB port....?

Eliminate as many devices as you can and keeping working. Add devices back one at a time and wait long enough to be sure that the problem is not happening. Then add back the next device.

Keep a sense of awareness regarding what you are doing or have just done when the disconnects occur.

Need to find a consistent pattern.

Ralston18

Titan
Open Event Viewer and check the logs. See if there are any entries regarding services or processes starting or stopping at the time of the USB failure(s).

Check for updated mouse and keyboard drivers. Or roll back to an earlier version if there has been a recent update.

Is your PC environment cold and dry? Perhaps some static electricty build up that discharges into the USB port....?

Eliminate as many devices as you can and keeping working. Add devices back one at a time and wait long enough to be sure that the problem is not happening. Then add back the next device.

Keep a sense of awareness regarding what you are doing or have just done when the disconnects occur.

Need to find a consistent pattern.

Solution