should children read or watch tv

Cvetko_1

Reputable
Jan 11, 2016
i am doing a homework for school and i want to hear your thoughts about it. i look forward for your help. thanks!

Solution
both.

reading either educational books or well written literature.

watching educational documentaries or other mind expanding shows

as a kid i used to watch quite a bit of bill nye. that is the good kind of tv. i also used to read quite a bit of educational books as well as some well written fantasy.

the thing you need to watch out for is too much trash.

Andreamorim112

Honorable
May 3, 2015
Yes, there is plenty of reatarded people on TV. But if we try to protect kids from everything they will not know how the world really is. Moderation is the key word on everything. Balance. TV is yet not a boogeyman. It may have bad things, but fortunaly it has good things also, and that's what they should see. But again overprotecting kids is not healthy. Neither is not protecting them at all, obviously.

This is my opinion, please respect it everyone.

RazerZ

Judicious
Ambassador
Read. It will build their vocabulary and comprehension skills. Unlike TV it requires them to use their imagination. Compared to books or other means of learning or entertainment I feel TV has the least amount of value. Since they won't be glued to the TV all day they will have room for other activities such as playing outside, arts and crafts, etc. Activities which stimulate the mind and is crucial at that age... Though I agree with Andrea, it is alright as long as it is watched in moderation while monitoring the content being watched. They will eventually find out about the world someway or the other especially with internet being widely available in today's day and age.

Well both have trash in them but reading seems to take more effort and helps increase reading comprehension in the long run. Something that people seem to be woefully bad at these days.

TV in comparison is very passive so it seems to be much easier for people to just tune out and fail to absorb any real information.

both.

reading either educational books or well written literature.

watching educational documentaries or other mind expanding shows

as a kid i used to watch quite a bit of bill nye. that is the good kind of tv. i also used to read quite a bit of educational books as well as some well written fantasy.

the thing you need to watch out for is too much trash.

Solution

samjiang22

Reputable
Dec 24, 2015

I think children should watch TV. But i don't mean whenever or whatever kind of program. Parents can set some rules for their children, like one hour for TV program per day. Positive programs for studying or entertainment are both ok. Remember, keep certain distance from TV when watching it to avoid being nearsighted.

giantbucket

Dignified
BANNED
it's called an idiot box for a reason. at least 50% of what's broadcast is either trash or commercials. there's very little demand for GOOD educational content, probably less than 5%. watching tv is like watching sports - it's entirely passive and requires NO effort, and usually provides NO gain.

reading at least forces the kid to use his/her imagination, teaches them how to read, teaches them proper spelling (the world is going to sh1t so fast with how awfully people spell), and can be done OUTSIDE where there's weird stuff like the sun and fresh air.

sports or physical exercise activities, reading educational content, watching educational content (still limit the hours) and social interaction with kids in positive mediums (sports, cub scouts, hobbies, etc).

the things to heavily limit are video gaming, watching noneducational tv (though a little is okay) and cellphone/online social media abuse.

techliner09

Reputable
Jan 12, 2016
Everything has their pros and cons ... If you read, you learn, you see how a word is written, sentence structur, grammar. No matter if you learn active or not, if you are confronted with it, you learn. What does not mean that I think TV is a bad thing, it creats creativity. If it is usefull content and not stuff like the kardashians. There is no good or bad.

nakshazia

Reputable
Jan 18, 2016
yes, definately chidrens should watch TV as they had to raise their knowledge in ever aspect of the world as by mews they can really get updated that what is happening or not in the world or some cartons or movies to get rid their boredom time and also having fun along with. so parents should let watch them TV and not stop that from doing so as that is really not good.