TV spitter problem

Bigfinn

Reputable
Jan 12, 2016
How do I get a single on my TVs in my rooms?. I have sky in my living room. Each room has a TV aerial wall point leading to a 6 point splitter in the loft but can't get a TVs signal on any TV apart from the one in my living room. Do I need to run a sky cable to each TV or is there an other way to do it without calling sky out for multi room. What it the point in the TV wall point in each room?.

Solution
The point of having a TV wall point in each room is to provide for future use. Much easier to install the wiring and wall points during the original construction or any large scale remodeling efforts.

What you can do is look inside one on the non-working wall points to see if there is some internal connection. There may be but it could also have not been made correctly.

Likewise, the original installer may not have used the correct cabling, installed the cabling incorrectly, or otherwise used cheap parts. Rodents can chew on wires and cause damage. Maybe some moisture somewhere along the way and there is corrosion.

Are there six wires running out of the loft splitter - one wire to each room maybe? Or perhaps three wires to...

Ralston18

Titan
The point of having a TV wall point in each room is to provide for future use. Much easier to install the wiring and wall points during the original construction or any large scale remodeling efforts.

What you can do is look inside one on the non-working wall points to see if there is some internal connection. There may be but it could also have not been made correctly.

Likewise, the original installer may not have used the correct cabling, installed the cabling incorrectly, or otherwise used cheap parts. Rodents can chew on wires and cause damage. Maybe some moisture somewhere along the way and there is corrosion.

Are there six wires running out of the loft splitter - one wire to each room maybe? Or perhaps three wires to six rooms/locations meaning there are some other hidden splitters somewhere. Splitters will fail over time and the cheaper ones can go very quickly with any "out of spec" exposure due to temperatures, movement, etc..

First try to map out the cable runs from loft to the various rooms. Pick the shortest run and see if you can get it to work. Write down any part or cable numbers that you find. Draw a simple diagram to keep track of things.

Probably be a good idea to have someone help you. Especially if they know how to use a multi-meter to test for connectivity and complete circuits.

See what you can do first and figure out before calling sky. Do a bit of reading/research based on what you find to determine what is and isn't. What is correct and not correct.

You will be a "better consumer" for it and less likely to be taken advantage off. And if really fortunate you may save yourself some money via your own repair work.

Stay away from all electrical connections and if in doubt do not touch or poke about.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS