Will upgrading my PC to 64bit improve my gaming performance?

EireTEX

Reputable
Jan 12, 2016
I have my PC..I just found out that it has an x64 based processor. So now I'm asking you guysw if it will improve my gaming frame rates if i upgrade to 64bit. I know how to upgrade so i dont need help with that :)

Here are my specs:
4gb DDR2 Ram
Intel core 2 Duo E6850 3ghz
Asus GTX 750ti OC edition
Windows 10 Pro 32 bit

Thanks in advance :)

Solution
No. Games load into memory and that is where they play from. And most games are still 32 bit coded anyway.
However, a faster gxf card may improve frame rates... up to a point. The aging dual core is still the weak link for online gaming on a busy server, however.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
No. Games load into memory and that is where they play from. And most games are still 32 bit coded anyway.
However, a faster gxf card may improve frame rates... up to a point. The aging dual core is still the weak link for online gaming on a busy server, however.

Solution
It depends, upon what games you play. If you play very old games, say 10 years old or older, using a 64 bit in order to add more RAM will not help. If you play more modern games, yes Windows 10 64-bit is important because you can add more RAM. This is required to play almost all more modern games.

Windows 10 32-bit has a maximum limit of 4GB, and uses a MINIMUM of 1GB of system memory [RAM] for basic operation. So, you have 3GB left to use. You also need to subtract any other memory that will be used, such as on the video card. So, if a game is using 2GB of video RAM there will only be about 1GB to play games or perform other tasks.

It is true that many programs are written for 32 bit OS, however, 4GB of RAM support - for all RAM in your computer is crippling.

Most people use 8GB of RAM. Right now you need at least 8GB for proper function of many programs, especially games. If your 32-bit operating system runs out of local memory [RAM placed in the slots on the motherboard], Windows will start using your hard drive as memory - and then you will have massive slow downs. Even an SSD will not be able to keep up.

The overall answer is yes, a 64-bit Windows and at least 4 more GB of RAM added to what you have will show a massive game play improvement.