i7 5820k w/ Phanteks PH-TC14PE Very High Idle Temperatures (55-60C)

AnEvilVegetable

Reputable
Jul 29, 2014
Hello everyone,

I just got my new X99 system and I just delved into overclocking. I didn't want to go too high so I decided to go for 4.2 GHz @ 1.153V and it passed a 15 minute test of AIDA64, I have yet to do extensive testing but that is not the point. What is the point is the heat. I am aware that idle temperatures are generally to be ignored but these baffled me at this low voltage. At stock speeds (3.3 GHz) it idles at around 35-40C but with this overclock it idles at 55-60C. At 100% load it never exceeds 70 degrees but stays just below that, so I am very satisfied with the load temperature. Aren't these idle temperatures far too high? Any ideas on why? See below for what I have tried.

I am running the Phanteks PH-TC14PE and the fans are spinning at ~650 RPM idle. Why not watercooling on an enthusiast grade system you may ask? Because radiators do not fit very well in the top of my case and they put pressure on the CPU power cord which had my previous system crash twice. My ambient room temperature is around 24-25C and the socket temperature never exceeds 40C and the case temperature doesn't exceed 38C even at load so there is not an airflow issue. I have a fan in the front of the case blowing directly in the coolers airflow direction at the same height and one in the back pulling the air directly from the cooler also at the same height.

I have tried re-seating the cooler but no difference. I've tried Arctic Silver 5 aside from the included thermal paste and the Silver 5 made only a very slight difference. I have tightened it to the point where the screws are no longer turnable and I have made sure I've mounted it correctly. I followed the instructions very carefully.

It's worth noting that it's running at 4.2 GHz @ 1.153V constantly.

I know it's not harmful, but I think they are very high because other people are getting 27-35C idle temperatures overclocked.

Full specs:
Intel Core i7 5820k @ 4.2 GHz 1.153V (Phanteks PH-TC14PE)
MSI X99A SLI Plus
Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @ 2666 MHz
Asus GTX 970 Strix (stock speeds atm)
Corsair RM1000W
Fractal Design R4

Thanks in advance! :)

AnEvilVegetable

Reputable
Jul 29, 2014
I see. Maybe my fans are running to slowly?

Yeah, it should be much cooler especially when idle. Very odd...

Oh, yeah, I have had the case open since installing the hardware.

Ugh. Yes. I would expect your fans to be running at 1200 to 1500 RPM. Have you changed anything in the fan profiles on the motherboard, your BIOS will allow some sort of 'performance' option, or you could even try 100% all the time to see what that does.

AnEvilVegetable

Reputable
Jul 29, 2014
I hope you're not referring to idle when you say 1200-1500 RPM? It'll sound like a jet plane x.x

I fiddled with the fan curve and I managed to get it to 50C idle. It's running at 800-900 RPM and full fan speed (1600 RPM) didn't make it go lower than 50C.

My overclocked system runs a close to 1000 RPM (Noctua D15S) at idle to get to 32C. It doesn't sound like a jet plane, (although 1500RPM might) (1200-1500 might be too much, but you can still mess with the speeds to see what it will do.

AnEvilVegetable

Reputable
Jul 29, 2014
I see. Like stated in the previous post, full fan speed did not reduce the temperature. The fans on the cooler are running at 900 RPM right now and it's at 50C constantly. Could the reading be inaccurate? I've tried 4 different applications and they all give the same result.

AnEvilVegetable

Reputable
Jul 29, 2014
I'll try a H100i GTX watercooler tomorrow and I'll see how that performs. I just updated BIOS to 1.9 and the stock idle temperature is 47C so there's definitely something wrong. I'll report tomorrow.

Sorry, I missed that. When I get home from school, I often have a bit of brain fade.

AnEvilVegetable

Reputable
Jul 29, 2014
No worries! :)

So, I delved further into temperatures and there seems to be plenty of people with Haswell-E processors showing a cpu temperature 5-10C higher than the core temperatures. The cores at idle are 30-33C while the CPU package temperature is at 40C now. I set the voltage to adaptive and disabled SpeedStep so there are no fluctuations while playing. However, when I load the cpu the core and package temperatures even out. I also tried opening my door (very cold garage between my room and the main house) for 3 minutes so it got a little colder and the package temperature dropped to 33-35C, so it's all well. I figured I'd post so other people may find this. Thanks for replies!