Does Windows 10 Allow For Increasing the Pixel Count on Desktop Icons?

Avagadro1

Reputable
Oct 29, 2015
I now have Windows 10, but I look to the past to describe my problem.

In Windows XP and earlier, and maybe later Windows versions prior to 10, one could customize the size of many visuals, such as menus, dialogs, title and property bars, etc. For purposes of the present discussion, also adjustable was the allocation of pixel count to icons on the Windows desktop, and in particular one could designate how many pixels wide and high were allocated to the icon and its description.

For individuals like myself who must scale the image display to something greater than 100%, the “factory-set” icon pixel width was too low, thereby cutting off much of the name of the icon/program. If, however, one were to get into the advanced display/image control, the pixel width could be increased (e.g., from 25 pixels to 31 pixels), which would be sufficient for the entire label below the Desktop icon to show.

Now I have Windows 10. No matter how deep my investigation of display properties, I cannot find any control over the number of pixels allocated to desktop icons. Yes, there is some scaling capability and enlargement of menus and some other items including Desktop icons. But increasing the size of the Desktop icons does NOT itself allow for customizing the pixel width or height allocated to the icons, at least as I have been able to discern. So increasing the size of the Desktop icons still results in cutting off much of the wording below the icon.

Does anyone know if something akin to earlier versions of Windows’ Display Properties>Advanced is available under Windows 10 to allow for a greater pixel count, especially horizontal, allocated to Desktop icons?

Thank you.

Solution
agreed, there is absolutely no need for any insults here. db already gave you a warning about it so i'll just second it.

@basroil 25 seconds into this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0ATx2S5chE is what he is talking about.

the option is still available in windows 7. first you need to change your theme to windows classic (the ugly looking xp, 98, 95 grey theme) then click window color which brings up the old display properties box then you can scroll to icons and the box to enter size is there. i havent verified that it works, but its there.

Not sure what you are smoking, but you could never change "pixel count". Here's what you could do on XP:
1) Use ctrl+mouse wheel to enlarge icons
2) Change your desktop resolution
In Vista+ they added:
3) Use large thumbnails instead of icons (and large icons when no thumbnail is available)
And in 8+ (was in earlier versions but at much reduced usability):
4) Change desktop scaling.

Most likely all you are actually trying to do is #1, which you can still do. Not that you need to anyway, since putting stuff on the desktop is beyond stupid when you have the option to use the start screen instead of start menu.

Avagadro1

Reputable
Oct 29, 2015

Having nothing to do with scaling (an entirely different matter), one could absolutely increase or decrease the number of allowable pixels, vertically or horizontally, on earlier versions of Windows, as described above, though after XP I'm not sure, and version 10 it appears not.

By the way, let it be known that you have no knowledge of what you write, and this in addition the the fact most obvious that you're a MOD EDIT, basroil. Of course there is at least one in every crowd, but it appears that you are positioning to occupy the entire field.

Here's information on creating and maintaining icons in Windows: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/dn742485%28v=vs.85%29.aspx

You'll see that icons are always standard sizes, in squared dimensions with side length divisible by 2 (and most icon sizes are powers of 2). You cannot change them to random numbers like 25x31 without breaking.

Now, if you were seriously confused and instead meant that you want to increase the size of the text ASSOCIATED WITH icons, the option is in Control Panel\Appearance and Personalization\Display like it has been for some time now.

agreed, there is absolutely no need for any insults here. db already gave you a warning about it so i'll just second it.

@basroil 25 seconds into this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0ATx2S5chE is what he is talking about.

the option is still available in windows 7. first you need to change your theme to windows classic (the ugly looking xp, 98, 95 grey theme) then click window color which brings up the old display properties box then you can scroll to icons and the box to enter size is there. i havent verified that it works, but its there.

Solution

Yes, that's a relic of the old 9X method that Microsoft has been warning against for over a decade, but as stated it doesn't actually let you change just width, the whole icon is zoomed up as a square. Like I said in the first post, you can achieve the same effect with ctrl+scroll wheel (or pinch /three finger zoom gestures). You can't specify exact pixel width, sure, but if icon quality is an issue as OP stated, it should be done in that way to ensure maximum icon quality. The second part was in the second post, where I explained how to adjust icon text size.

Avagadro1

Reputable
Oct 29, 2015

Thank you ssddx; that is exactly the capability I was referring to, and asking whether such capability was still present under Windows 10. Whether Windows Classic is or is not ugly is clearly your opinion only, and would in any event be a subordinate matter to those of us who deal with vision and motor issues --- largely ameliorated when certain text, icons or other items can be SELECTIVELY enlarged (but not magnified).

From your response, what I need to do is to determine if Windows 10 is able to provide the "Windows Classic" scheme (though my first guess is that it cannot, or likely I would have located it already).

And just to think, I lost some of my fine-motor skills and vision as a result of foreign combat defending the right of MOD EDIT like basroil to be MOD EDIT like basroil.

Done. Thanks for the solution, or at least answer to the question.

avagadro1,

in case you did not realize, that warning above to watch the insults and slander from darkbreeze and seconded from myself was directed at the both of you. it is not a good idea to ignore a warning from one of the forum moderators - we do it to keep the friendly atmosphere.

slip up again and it will not be just a warning. i do not care who did or said what. keep yourself under control.

---

afaik they removed that feature from 8 and 10.

you may want to read http://www.howtogeek.com/133405/how-to-get-classic-style-themes-back-on-windows-8/
its a winclassic theme. given that its just a theme, it probably doesnt add what you want to do.. but you could look

and http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/173367-simple-hack-enables-classic-theme-in-windows-10-and-8-too/
it looks like perhaps the feature was not totally removed and is able to be re-enabled? did not read thread but looked like it may be promising.

you can always use the other icon resizing options (small/medium/large under view and display zoom in display options) if you cannot get anything else working.